Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

I haven't had a lot of sucess with treating bumble foot, although I did finally figure out that the coop where my 'bumble foot birds' resided has the roosts fairly high (4 feet). The only 2 birds that I had with Bumble foot resided in this coop and at first I thought it was a breed issue. Once I took the high roost away and they were forced to roost on the lower one, no more bumble foot.

I've reread everything on here about bumble foot and watched some videos. Ready to attempt fixing it tomorrow and hoping it'll go well. Gia is one of my first chicks and just started laying. She's probably my prettiest too.
View attachment 1104798

Let me know how it goes. I think we have a few with bumblefoot but I have no idea how to take it out. So many articles on here say many different things, I'm confused.

Our young drake has mycoplasma synoviae, we took him to the vet last night to get diagnosed and put on meds. He's getting antibiotics and pain-killers. Hasn't shown up in any of the females. Hopefully this will be the only case seeing as they're nearly fully grown at 18 weeks.

Thanks!

I've reread everything on here about bumble foot and watched some videos. Ready to attempt fixing it tomorrow and hoping it'll go well. Gia is one of my first chicks and just started laying. She's probably my prettiest too.
View attachment 1104798

Best of luck with it. I was able to do it alone, but it can help if you have an assistant. I do recommend a washcloth or small towel (loosely) over her head to keep her calm. Your case is much less severe than mine. I will post pics when I have a minute.

I haven't had a lot of sucess with treating bumble foot, although I did finally figure out that the coop where my 'bumble foot birds' resided has the roosts fairly high (4 feet). The only 2 birds that I had with Bumble foot resided in this coop and at first I thought it was a breed issue. Once I took the high roost away and they were forced to roost on the lower one, no more bumble foot.

Hhhmmm... everybody likes to roost high though! I wonder if it's just hard in their feet to get up there. My little one roost on one of the support beams. :rolleyes:

Robin is a pullet right? So you at least have a pair?

Yes she is! I do have a pair, and I will be keeping both, since his crow is cute and not annoying. He's such a stud!

WP_20170804_20_18_19_Pro.jpg

WP_20170808_15_23_20_Pro.jpg

Here is my girls foot before and after. Hope no one is eating when they read this. Looks pretty bad in the first photo, but I was trying wait a little longer because I had worked on her foot the week before. She was soaking in the first picture.

So I soaked it and cut off scab. There was nothing under it. No pus at all and the scab was mor red then black. I wrapped her up and called it a night before cutting in more. The toe and pad are definitely swollen and its affecting her with a limp and she won't really move around. Should I dig into the hole I made? It Didnt look anything like any of the videos or pics. I was all ready to be grossed out and then nothing. I did have a helper (13 yr old daughter) and we wrapped her up in a towel. She didnt flinch when I cut into it.

Welp, just started the outside flock on Corrid for the Coccidia. Everyone seems to be doing okay, and I'm keeping an eye on Logan and how his behavior is. He's just chastising anyone that gets too close to him. The boys haven't fought anymore as far as I know so that's good too.

View attachment 1105521

View attachment 1105523

Here is my girls foot before and after. Hope no one is eating when they read this. Looks pretty bad in the first photo, but I was trying wait a little longer because I had worked on her foot the week before. She was soaking in the first picture.
Fantastic Job! I've seen worse (in pictures). The reason I thought a higher roost was at fault with my birds, was because of the large thud when they hit the floor of the coop when flying/falling from the roost (only 4 feet up) They were heavy birds and when I was putting feed out in the morning, a few would hang back not coming out when I opened the coop door. I thought someone was getting picked on but after I observed for a bit (and heard the thump), I did the math.

IMG_2133.JPG
We are in 'Fair Mode' around here, Goshen Country Fair last week for Poultry, Goats and Sheep. This week: Chester County 4-H show for Goats (that's my DD in the picture with an Alpine (not ours) and Montgomery County 4-H Fair for Poultry. We were setting up the fairgrounds last night in Montgomery County and will have over 200 birds shown by the 4-Hers this year. Let's hope the weather holds out!! They have a Silent Auction each year with nice Poultry and Farm related things. 1015 Bridge Road, Collegville, PA if anyone is interested. The Fair runs Thursday through Saturday. $5 for parking.

Back
Top Bottom