Pennsylvania!! Unite!!

So, IDK if anyone saw my post with a baby bird... I put him back in the tree and he was reunited with his mama. My hubby found another nest, this time it was in my grandpa's fire pit - luckily it didn't catch on fire! It was upside down, and so I fed the babies and tried leaving them outside so the mama could find them, but it got dark after 3 hours and no sign of mama. I now have them in the house and I'm feeding them cut up worms every hour. I plan on releasing them when they can fly, and I hope I'm doing all the right things so they can survive. Does anyone here have experience with baby birds? IDK if they are robins or some sort of house sparrow. View attachment 1429743 View attachment 1429744

Glad the one was able to be reunited with it's Mom. I don't think they are robins. Our baby bird had orange feathers on it's belly already. We raised a baby Robin a couple years ago until she was old enough to fly away. She was a sweet little thing that bonded to us and I swear that every now and then, she comes back around and talks to us to let us know that she's fine. Sounds like you're doing everything right for now. When they start getting a little older, you'll want to move them to a little cage (a fish tank with a screen on top works good). Find some grubs and worms and let them lose in the bottom of the cage (put dirt on the ground too). Keep feeding them but space the feedings out longer around that time. Once they start hunting the bugs on their own, you know that they're only a couple weeks away from flying the nest. They will be able to fly pretty well before they start catching the bugs on their own.

So, IDK if anyone saw my post with a baby bird... I put him back in the tree and he was reunited with his mama. My hubby found another nest, this time it was in my grandpa's fire pit - luckily it didn't catch on fire! It was upside down, and so I fed the babies and tried leaving them outside so the mama could find them, but it got dark after 3 hours and no sign of mama. I now have them in the house and I'm feeding them cut up worms every hour. I plan on releasing them when they can fly, and I hope I'm doing all the right things so they can survive. Does anyone here have experience with baby birds? IDK if they are robins or some sort of house sparrow. View attachment 1429743 View attachment 1429744
I have taken care of a ton of baby birds in my time.I used to use a small watercolor brush and baby bird feeding formula or cat food. Now I recommend taking birds to a rscue--or at least contacting one for identification and advice. This one is in Delaware--maybe 30-40 minutes south of Kennett Square.
Contact Tristate Bird rescue.
https://tristatebird.org/
(302) 737-9543.
and they can talk you through ANYTHING. They are the pros--I have taken many babies to them and they are the folks that wash sea birds after oil spills.

Glad the one was able to be reunited with it's Mom. I don't think they are robins. Our baby bird had orange feathers on it's belly already. We raised a baby Robin a couple years ago until she was old enough to fly away. She was a sweet little thing that bonded to us and I swear that every now and then, she comes back around and talks to us to let us know that she's fine. Sounds like you're doing everything right for now. When they start getting a little older, you'll want to move them to a little cage (a fish tank with a screen on top works good). Find some grubs and worms and let them lose in the bottom of the cage (put dirt on the ground too). Keep feeding them but space the feedings out longer around that time. Once they start hunting the bugs on their own, you know that they're only a couple weeks away from flying the nest. They will be able to fly pretty well before they start catching the bugs on their own.

Thank you! I think they are house finches. I'm feeding them about 1-2 worms each, every hour. Am I supposed to feed them anything else? Good tip on the cage, so they can learn to eat on their own before release!

I have taken care of a ton of baby birds in my time.I used to use a small watercolor brush and baby bird feeding formula or cat food. Now I recommend taking birds to a rscue--or at least contacting one for identification and advice. This one is in Delaware--maybe 30-40 minutes south of Kennett Square.
Contact Tristate Bird rescue.
https://tristatebird.org/
(302) 737-9543.
and they can talk you through ANYTHING. They are the pros--I have taken many babies to them and they are the folks that wash sea birds after oil spills.

We looked at the baby bird formula thing at our pet store but in all caps it says "not for wild birds" So I'm afraid that would kill them.

I'm feeding them worms. Is there anything else I should give them?

Delaware is quite far, but I'll try to give them a call soon. Thank you!

Thank you! I think they are house finches. I'm feeding them about 1-2 worms each, every hour. Am I supposed to feed them anything else? Good tip on the cage, so they can learn to eat on their own before release!

We looked at the baby bird formula thing at our pet store but in all caps it says "not for wild birds" So I'm afraid that would kill them.

I'm feeding them worms. Is there anything else I should give them?

Delaware is quite far, but I'll try to give them a call soon. Thank you!

We mostly fed worms and any grubs we could find. When e couldn't find enough, we soaked some cat food (grain free) but baby bird did NOT like it. You could get mealworms or maggots from most places that sell fishing bait to give them variety.

We mostly fed worms and any grubs we could find. When e couldn't find enough, we soaked some cat food (grain free) but baby bird did NOT like it. You could get mealworms or maggots from most places that sell fishing bait to give them variety.

Ok, thank you for all the help!
I'll update in a few days if they're doing well. So far so good... they know when it's feeding time :clap

7493FD27-A108-47E7-9ED8-E374AD5EE169.jpeg
Quiet day in here... This is my great niece aka ‘goat whisperer’

Back
Top Bottom