Permethrin dust and..... cats

If you have found Sulphur powder effective in the past, and have felines, strongly recommend that be your first effort.

Permethrin naturally breaks down on the skins of all mammals, and what tiny amount is absorbed through the skin (0.5% typically) is then broken down and processed by the liver. Its why permethrin is put on clothes, not ourselves, when we use it for tick protection - we are dangerous to it, far more than it is to us. Unfortunately, felines are unique among mammals in having very low concentrations of the enzymes that make that reaction so rapid in the rest of mammals. They also have relatively low body mass, and are more sensitive to environmental exposures for that reason. Best if be avoided if possible.
Yes! will go grab some now that I know it exists. Thank you for the informative response <3

Attachments

• 37FF1E1E-E836-4F74-8CB9-665A4728E319.jpeg
    37FF1E1E-E836-4F74-8CB9-665A4728E319.jpeg
    509.6 KB · Views: 0
Update...
I did a fairly thorough dusting on Thursday with a large make-up brush. I was reluctant to dust her underside too well, since that will be coming in contact with the eggs. so I plan to wait until her little ones are hatched before doing the under areas.

I checked a day later, and geee, there must've been more of them than I thought, because, so. many. dead. lice. bodies. I caught glimpses of a few that were still moving, but they were sluggish. I went ahead and spot dusted those areas too.

So, is it effective? yep. But I definitely missed spots since I was doing it by hand with a brush and my bird has so much extra fluff. For maximum efficacy, the plastic bag method would probably work best.

With all of the powder based methods you need to thoroughly get the dust past the feathers and onto the skin: vent area, under the wings, back and chest. Use something that allows the dust to be blown; there are plastic "bellows" (not sure what the proper name is) that are cheap available online or any plastic bottle with a tapered top.

Glad is helped, keep at it!

Back
Top Bottom