Pigeon Talk

My sickly guy is back in the loft. As days went on he became notably restless in isolation so I reunited him with the group.

STILL not 100% in terms of walking or flying around, he stumbles or trips a bit here and there. Certainly more than any of the others. But he has taken flight with the group a handful of times. Not long. But when I let them out he happily flies up into my hand for treats, flies across the yard to and fro with ease, and he’s clearly glad to be able to roam again. My main concern now is the hawks, because he will be extremely easy pickings being obviously weaker than the rest. Maybe an aviary candidate if the condition doesn’t improve. He’s my favorite, so I’d hate to deny him the freedom he’s enjoyed for some years now but he is very much hawk bait right now.

Either way, at this point he has successfully fought his nest box back from the other cocks and is working on a new batch with his hen. I’ll be replacing them with wooden eggs so he can continue to build up body condition, but I’m glad to see him behaving and feeling better overall, even if his mobility is still somewhat effected.

For sure. This spring has been kind of off though, at two separate times in the past few weeks I had two of my healthy and fit homers come back missing a few tail feathers - lucky escapes.
I'd really be tempted to place him and his mate in an aviary until he is 100%. You know the old adage: "Only fly birds you can afford to lose." With my rollers I liked to wait until birds were 2 years old before moving them into the breeding loft. One day I was watching a standout bird in a young bird flock and admiring his performance. As the kit trapped in they were attacked by a Cooper's hawk. The bird I was admiring crashed into an implement shed. The hawk immediately hit him - then a second hawk hit the first - as I rushed over to get my 'killed' bird a larger hawk arrived. Hawks flew off and I picked up the pigeon. He slowly opened one eye and then lifted his head. Mr Bluebar was immediately stocked. Mated to a hen called The Clapper they became the foundation of my flock.

So...I unexpectedly became a pigeon keeper yesterday. I was out birding on my property and came across this guy/gal on the bank of a river near the road. I was able to catch it easily with a net and bring it back inside to recuperate. It's obviously someone's pet (banded) and I have contacted the appropriate association to try and find its owner but they have not responded yet.

It has perked up a lot since I caught it. It had to rest and dry off for a few hours before it was ready to eat, drink, and fly again. It still has very watery diarrhea though. I have been giving it raw brown rice as it's pretty much the only pigeon-appropriate food I have on hand, but if I have to keep it longer I'll buy something else. What feed should I get for a short term stay?

And can anyone tell me breed or sex?

D75_0957_00001.jpg
IMG_4380.jpg
IMG_4382.JPG

There are pigeon & dove seed blends that come in 5 pound bags, one by Brown and one by Kaylee, that are stocked in many Petsmart and Petco stores. The first is also available via Chewy. They are a little low in protein, but you could pick up a bag of dry peas at your local grocery store and add some of those to up the protein content. I used them when I rescued my first pigeon while I was getting things set.

(Edit: corrected "at" to "add"!)

Last edited:
There are pigeon & dove seed blends that come in 5 pound bags, one by Brown and one by Kaylee, that are stocked in many Petsmart and Petco stores. The first is also available via Chewy. They are a little low in protein, but you could pick up a bag of dry peas at your local grocery store and at some of those to up the protein content. I used them when I rescued my first pigeon while I was getting things set.
Thank you!

So...I unexpectedly became a pigeon keeper yesterday. I was out birding on my property and came across this guy/gal on the bank of a river near the road. I was able to catch it easily with a net and bring it back inside to recuperate. It's obviously someone's pet (banded) and I have contacted the appropriate association to try and find its owner but they have not responded yet.

It has perked up a lot since I caught it. It had to rest and dry off for a few hours before it was ready to eat, drink, and fly again. It still has very watery diarrhea though. I have been giving it raw brown rice as it's pretty much the only pigeon-appropriate food I have on hand, but if I have to keep it longer I'll buy something else. What feed should I get for a short term stay?

And can anyone tell me breed or sex?

View attachment 3818523View attachment 3818524View attachment 3818525
How big is it?
It looks like a type of tumbler based on eyes and beak.
Closest breed in my mind is Portuguese tumbler

Back
Top Bottom