Pipd's Peeps!

How are they looking today? Sometimes shipped eggs can be a bit slow to get going at hatch time, so hopefully that's just it. :fl
1000005804.jpg

Welcome to the world, little one :love I imagine you have more by now--busy weekend for me! :th

Today was candling day again for mine.

Out of the 7 remaining from Wyatt's pen, all are looking good, so I guess I was just being paranoid about them last time. 😅

Out of the 16 from Buck's pen, only 5 are developing. :hmm Since Buck was only in the pen for I think a week or two when I started collecting eggs, and most of the eggs from early collection are the clears, I think it may just have been a matter of needing more time to woo the gals. Most of the eggs that are developing are fresher. One is one of the older eggs, so I'm a little suspicious that that one may either be from Thistle and fathered by Wyatt, or from one of the other girls and fathered by one of the mixed flock roosters. The latter would be a bit of a stretch looking at the timing (those girls would have been split from the mixed flock for 3-ish weeks by that point, so possible but less likely), but we'll see at hatch, I guess!

Since I wanted to set as many eggs from Gus III's pen as possible in case of spotty fertility, I went ahead and removed the clears again so that I had room to set 12 eggs from Gus's pen. Here's hoping, since he's had a bit more time to woo his gals, that we see better fertility from them. :fl

One of the Japanese bantams is going to be a gray. Not sure yet but maybe a female as well.

1000005836.jpg

Also I think the other is having issues. It's the same but seams underdeveloped.
1000005833.jpg

The gold and silver chicks.
1000005834.jpg

Working on moving the older ones out but when I put them in the outside raised brooder they won't even move from where I put them. They also don't move when I reach for them and pick them up. Once they are in the previous brooder they perk back up and are all fun and games.

Aww, little darlings :love Is the one just less feathered or does it seem shorter / smaller in general? Acting normal or acting off?

The gold and silver ones are the EE mixes, right? So pretty :love

They can definitely be a bit, well, chicken when it comes to change. 🤭 When mine are like that, I'll sit with them for a bit and usually they eventually get used to their new surroundings and start exploring their new pen. Hopefully your kiddos will adapt eventually, too :fl

Busy couple days here! Today, after spending the past day or so chicken juggling, getting them set up, and keeping an eye on things, I got a couple broody Cochins settled in and set some eggs under them. Both are unnamed because they were not meant to be keepers, but if they're halfways decent broodies... we'll see.

Anyway, the first broody is the third Splash girl, who has 6 eggs from Buck's pen under her.

1714508286711.png

And the second is a Blue girl with 6 eggs from Wyatt's pen under her.

1714508332579.png

They are both very serious, as you can see. 🤭

I have a third non-keeper broody, but I don't think I can finagle another broody space together in that coop, at least not very easily... so I'll probably have to bust her. Delphine, out in Buck's pen, is broody as well, but out there I should be able to set something up, so we'll see with her.

Aww, little darlings :love Is the one just less feathered or does it seem shorter / smaller in general? Acting normal or acting off?

The gold and silver ones are the EE mixes, right? So pretty :love

They can definitely be a bit, well, chicken when it comes to change. 🤭 When mine are like that, I'll sit with them for a bit and usually they eventually get used to their new surroundings and start exploring their new pen. Hopefully your kiddos will adapt eventually, too :fl
Yeah less feathered and half the size of the other one but just as plump an acting normal.

Yes the gold and silver are out of the EE rooster Dusty and the gold laced and silver laced cochins.

Definitely keep an eye on that little one. Unfortunately, if it's something like failure to thrive, then there's not much that can be done, just keep them warm, fed, and hope for the best. Sometimes the lack of feathering on slower featherers can make them seem super small compared to their more feathered broodmates, so hopefully that's the case here and little one will catch up to the other one just fine. :fl

Back
Top Bottom