Please help chicken is dying belly very bloated

tanithcrane

Songster
6 Years
Dec 30, 2016
My chicken has been off for a few days her comb and wings are limp and shes very lifeless ive been giving her dust baths and apple cider vinegar but today i found her on her side in coop she can no longer stand and breathing very slow her belly near her vent is very swollen and theres a hard large lump i can feel what should i do i think she is dying and i dont want her too shes such a lovely hen im so upset all the others are ok.

Stuck egg? Tumor? Salpingitis? A stuck egg may be treatable but the other two are generally not I'm afraid.

I felt her belly it does feel like a large egg stuck ive put her to soak in hot water with salt for 20 minutes what else can i do shes very weak i dont have much stuff to treat her and all shops where i am are shut now
Thankyou for your help

I felt her belly it does feel like a large egg stuck ive put her to soak in hot water with salt for 20 minutes what else can i do shes very weak i dont have much stuff to treat her and all shops where i am are shut now
Thankyou for your help

I'm so sorry your hen isn't doing well.
How old is she?
When did she last lay an egg?
Does the swelling in her belly feel fluid filled or is it all hard like the lump you felt?
When you remove her from her soak, can you take and post some pictures of her vent and lower abdomen area?

I'm so sorry your hen isn't doing well.
How old is she?
When did she last lay an egg?
Does the swelling in her belly feel fluid filled or is it all hard like the lump you felt?
When you remove her from her soak, can you take and post some pictures of her vent and lower abdomen area?
Shes an ex bat hen about 2 years old
Shes lost alot of weight
I can feel a large hardish egg like lump under her right thigh area and around it it is very swollen and feels squidgy her poo is yellow and watery ille send some pics thanks again for your help
20190728_201843.jpg
20190728_201843.jpg
20190728_201816.jpg

Shes an ex bat hen about 2 years old
Shes lost alot of weight
I can feel a large hardish egg like lump under her right thigh area and around it it is very swollen and feels squidgy her poo is yellow and watery ille send some pics thanks again for your help View attachment 1859290 View attachment 1859290 View attachment 1859293

Oh my goodness, the poor baby!

All the signs are pointing to a serious reproductive issue, possibly egg yolk peritonitis, salpingitis or cancer. Unfortunately, these issues are entirely too common with those poor abused high production battery hens. :hugs

The fluid in the abdomen is ascites. That can be drained off to give some relief but it is temporary. However, her body condition is quite poor. She looks emaciated.

I'm terribly sorry to say this, but if she were my bird, I would humanely euthanize her.:hugs

I really dont know what to do ive giver her electrolytes but shes really refusing to drink and not eating shes in a quiet box with a covered hot water bottle ive made sure its not too hot shes just resting her head on side of box and hasnt moved shes very underweight 4 days ago she was fine im not sure what has happened how can i treat her or help with her tummy

I really dont know what to do ive giver her electrolytes but shes really refusing to drink and not eating shes in a quiet box with a covered hot water bottle ive made sure its not too hot shes just resting her head on side of box and hasnt moved shes very underweight 4 days ago she was fine im not sure what has happened how can i treat her or help with her tummy

Update

Shes suddenly looms like shes perked up shes taken a few steps and eating and drinking but belly still swollen and can still feel hard egg like lump there but shes still got limp comb with a slight purple tinge to it and still seems very depressed

She's Probably Egg Bound or Maybe a Nervous system problem. probably not a nervous system problem from what I've heard from the update, but she still could be egg bound. if you have an avian vet anywhere near, maybe take her in. I Do hope she gets through this though. it must be tough for the both of you.

If she were egg bound then she would likely already be gone by now (and she would not be pooping if egg bound). It's far more likely that she has a reproductive problem, it is not uncommon in hens starting around the age of two, especially in high egg producing breeds, which an ex-bat would be. Common issues can be internal laying, salpingitis, and reproductive cancers. Her body condition suggests that it has been going on for a while, it just may not have been obvious, they are very, very good at hiding illness. They can have good days, and not so good days, but generally it will not get better. Once the abdomen is bloated like that there is usually not much that can be done for them really, it indicates that whatever the issue is, it's advanced. The long term prognosis is poor. I'm sorry, I know that is not what you want to hear. A clear and definite answer is often not known until a necropsy is done, symptoms can be very similar for the various reproductive problems. When I have a hen like this I leave her with the flock as long as she is acting like a normal chicken. Once she does not, acts obviously unwell, goes off food and water, isolates herself, or is drawing attacks from the flock, then I don't let her suffer.

Back
Top Bottom