Please help my ducks are dying

Ashes89

Hatching
Apr 23, 2024
This is long but hopefully someone can help. Last tuesday I had a duck wonder into my woods with her flock and not come back, saturday same thing. Thinking its a predator issue I made it so they can no longer freerange my 7 acres during the day. This morning I woke up and my kahki campbell was dead, really was hoping it was a coincidence as she wasnt showing any symptoms of being sick aside from maybe walking a little slower than normal to bed last night. Ive checked on my remaining ducks all day to see if anyone is showing any symptoms at all of illness with nothing. Just went to put them to bed and my runner duck didnt want to get up and walk she was acting like she just couldnt. I pick her up and place her in another part of the yard she take two steps and down again. We carry her up to the house set her down and she attempts to go to the trailer we put them in at night makes it 2 or 3 feet than starts stumbling. While holding her she did leak clear water like liquid from her vent for a minute than proceeded to poop what looked like a normal poop. I put her in a cage with vitamin water, peas and a scoop of duck food on some puppy pads. She again pooped a normal poop but paid no attention to her food or drink. Im completely lost. There no other symptoms, shes quacking and standing up in there but seems to be getting to weak to walk. Any ideas?? I have no vets that see ducks. I have vitamins, vet rx, antibiotics, activated charcoal, electrolytes on hand.

7 acres is a lot of land to walk looking for what might be a toxin but if she will drink you could try a flush with the Activated charcoal.

Do you have any standing water on your property that maybe contaminated?
You might want to walk your property just to rule out they are getting into something out there. Some type of toxin.
Any one around you that may not like your ducks and would poison them? [I know it's a horrible thing to think about but does happen]
Here is info on flushes and how to use them.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/
Very sorry for your losses.
Their food is fresh and not moldy it can come that way from the feed store.

7 acres is a lot of land to walk looking for what might be a toxin but if she will drink you could try a flush with the Activated charcoal.

You might want to walk your property just to rule out they are getting into something out there. Some type of toxin.
Any one around you that may not like your ducks and would poison them? [I know it's a horrible thing to think about but does happen]
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal.700526/
Food is fresh and no mold present, I have her in a cage with vitamin water, feed and peas. Shes currently pacing the cage quacking because she can hear her flock but not get to them, drinking, ate a bit ans is pooping normal. No other symptoms so Im really leading towards something toxic. Thank you for your input.

Also should I detox the whole flock just to be safe or as needed? My kahki didnt even show symptoms of anything before bed but was dead come morning.

I sure hope you can find what this is. and get it corrected. How is she doing this morning? Is she able to hold her head normal? That is one sign of a toxin "limber neck"

Might not be a bad idea to flush them all but only problem is figuring out who is actually drinking the activated charcoal. I've never heard of doing a whole flock.

I sure hope you can find what this is. and get it corrected. How is she doing this morning? Is she able to hold her head normal? That is one sign of a toxin "limber neck"

Might not be a bad idea to flush them all but only problem is figuring out who is actually drinking the activated charcoal. I've never heard of doing a whole flock.
She was fine this morning, walking quacking, eating like she wasnt just flopping around the yard like a fish. Thank you for all your input Im going to watch my girls real close to see if anyone else starts acting off if they do Ill detox everyone.

Back
Top Bottom