Please Help, sick hen.

Our animal house

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2019
I have 21 chickens. I don't remember what breed this one is. About a month ago she looked purplish in color and seemed droopy. She usually roosts outside year round but recently has been sleeping on the floor of the hen house. I think the darker spots may be mild frost bite from winter. I thought for sure it was a respiratory illness but she hasn't died. She eats and moves around the yard but not at her normal pace. She occasionally looses balance but I haven't seen her fall. I don't know if she's laying. No other chickens are sick. I believe she's around 4 years old. I have several chickens and a duck several years older. I don't have any idea what could be wrong. She's not tame so I haven't touched her or checked her out at all. I kind of think she maybe getting a little better? I thought for sure she would die about a week and a half ago but she's looking a bit better since then.

Attachments

• 1000003585.jpg
    1000003585.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20240505_163819999.jpg
    PXL_20240505_163819999.jpg
    541.2 KB · Views: 5
How has her poop been? And have you tried any medications? The purple comb is a good indication of a circulatory issue. It could be a mite infestation, worms, respiratory illness or cardiac related.

I've seen her poop a couple of times but it seems fine. I don't really do meds other than apple cider vinegar and elderberries. She does cough, no drainage, nothing weird really. Her tail isn't droopy. Usually my chickens seem to get sick and die quickly. Usually old age I assume. She's a mystery for sure. Thank you for replying. I'm wondering if it's cardiac. I hadn't thought about that. It seems to be chronic at this point.

I've seen her poop a couple of times but it seems fine. I don't really do meds other than apple cider vinegar and elderberries. She does cough, no drainage, nothing weird really. Her tail isn't droopy. Usually my chickens seem to get sick and die quickly. Usually old age I assume. She's a mystery for sure. Thank you for replying. I'm wondering if it's cardiac. I hadn't thought about that. It seems to be chronic at this point.
I would try giving her some poultry cell in her water. If it’s something like anemia this will help a lot. The coughing definitely is a symptom of cardiac problems like heart failure as fluid will start to leak and put pressure on the lungs

Back
Top Bottom