mybackyardhobbyfarm

Songster
8 Years
Dec 18, 2014
B.C. Canada
Hi I have 2 separate Polish pens (white crested black and black crested white)but also hope to get a few other varieties and make some fun surprise mixes. What would I need to make candy corn Polish? I was told a goldlaced with cuckoo but I want to hear it from a few other people.

Question about potential colours
Of offspring to these combo s

Part 1 Gold laced hen to

a)black crested white
b)white crested black
c) cuckoo

Part 2
cuckoo Polish to
a)black crested white
b)white crested black
c)buff laced

Thankyou

Last edited:
Question about potential colours
Of offspring to these combo s

Part 1 Gold laced hen to

a)black crested white
b)white crested black
c) cuckoo
Gold Laced hen with Black Crested White rooster, probably silver chicks (both genders) with various amounts of black (could be on the crest, messy lacing, or some other arrangement.)

Gold Laced hen with White Crested Black rooster, chicks will probably be mostly black, possibly with silver or gold leakage. I don't know if they will have white crests or not.

Gold Laced hen to cuckoo rooster, chicks will be mostly black, possibly with silver or gold leakage. Both genders will have white barring (cuckoo). If you want to produce birds that have gold lacing and white barring, cross one of the sons back to the Gold Laced hen, hatch a bunch of chicks, and be picky about what you select. You will probably get something like: 1/4 black, 1/4 black with white barring, 1/8 silver with black patterns, 1/8 gold with black patterns, 1/8 silver with black patterns and white barring, and 1/8 gold with black patterns and white barring (the ones you want.) Crossing the best of them back to Gold Laced again will probably produce nicer birds, in much greater numbers, in the next generation.

Part 2
cuckoo Polish to
a)black crested white
b)white crested black
c)buff laced

Cuckoo Polish: male or female? It makes a difference.
Cuckoo male:

Cuckoo male to black crested white female will give chicks with some amount of black and white, and white barring (the barring should be on the whole chicken, but will not be visible on the white parts. I'm guessing there will be a lot more lack parts with white bars than white parts with white bars, but not positive.)

Cuckoo male to white crested black female will give chicks with a lot of black, and white barring. I'm not sure whether they will have white crests or not.

Cuckoo male to buff laced female will give chicks that are mostly white. Genetically, they are black all over with white barring, both from the cuckoo father. And then the Dominant White gene from the buff laced mother turns all the black into white, so you appear to have a white bird.

Cuckoo female:

Black Crested White male with Cuckoo female will give black chicks, with the males having white barring and the females just black. I don't know whether they will have big white areas (from the white in the father) or not, but if they do it should apply to both genders equally.

White Crested Black male with Cuckoo female will give sons that are black with white barring, and daughters that are black with NO white barring. I don't know whether they will have white crests or not.

Buff Laced male with Cuckoo female will give mostly white birds. The sons will have white barring but the daughters will not (that's genetically speaking, but I don't expect white barring on a white chicken to be very visible!) There's a chance of some gold leakage as they grow up.

Last edited:
Gold Laced hen with Black Crested White rooster, probably silver chicks (both genders) with various amounts of black (could be on the crest, messy lacing, or some other arrangement.)

Gold Laced hen with White Crested Black rooster, chicks will probably be mostly black, possibly with silver or gold leakage. I don't know if they will have white crests or not.

Gold Laced hen to cuckoo rooster, chicks will be mostly black, possibly with silver or gold leakage. Males will have white barring (cuckoo), females will not. If you want to produce birds that have gold lacing and white barring, cross one of the sons back to the Gold Laced hen, hatch a bunch of chicks, and be picky about what you select. You will probably get something like: 1/4 black, 1/4 black with white barring, 1/8 silver with black patterns, 1/8 gold with black patterns, 1/8 silver with black patterns and white barring, and 1/8 gold with black patterns and white barring (the ones you want.) Crossing the best of them back to Gold Laced again will probably produce nicer birds, in much greater numbers, in the next generation.

Cuckoo Polish: male or female? It makes a difference.
Cuckoo male:

Cuckoo male to black crested white female will give chicks with some amount of black and white, and white barring (the barring should be on the whole chicken, but will not be visible on the white parts. I'm guessing there will be a lot more lack parts with white bars than white parts with white bars, but not positive.)

Cuckoo male to white crested black female will give chicks with a lot of black, and white barring. I'm not sure whether they will have white crests or not.

Cuckoo male to buff laced female will give chicks that are mostly white. Genetically, they are black all over with white barring, both from the cuckoo father. And then the Dominant White gene from the buff laced mother turns all the black into white, so you appear to have a white bird.

Cuckoo female:

Black Crested White male with Cuckoo female will give black chicks, with the males having white barring and the females just black. I don't know whether they will have big white areas (from the white in the father) or not, but if they do it should apply to both genders equally.

White Crested Black male with Cuckoo female will give sons that are black with white barring, and daughters that are black with NO white barring. I don't know whether they will have white crests or not.

Buff Laced male with Cuckoo female will give mostly white birds. The sons will have white barring but the daughters will not (that's genetically speaking, but I don't expect white barring on a white chicken to be very visible!) There's a chance of some gold leakage as they grow up.
Thankyou very much for taking the time to write this out ! I really appreciate it. It will give me something to reference and decide on best colour matches. Thankyou so much!

Gold Laced hen to cuckoo rooster, chicks will be mostly black, possibly with silver or gold leakage. Males will have white barring (cuckoo), females will not. If you want to produce birds that have gold lacing and white barring, cross one of the sons back to the Gold Laced hen, hatch a bunch of chicks, and be picky about what you select. You will probably get something like: 1/4 black, 1/4 black with white barring, 1/8 silver with black patterns, 1/8 gold with black patterns, 1/8 silver with black patterns and white barring, and 1/8 gold with black patterns and white barring (the ones you want.) Crossing the best of them back to Gold Laced again will probably produce nicer birds, in much greater numbers, in the next generation.
Gold laced hen x cuckoo rooster will produce all cuckoo chicks in the first generation (probably with silver or gold leakage). Females will be cuckoo too.

Thankyou guys @NatJ @RoostersAreAwesome

If you have time can you predict colour for this combination? Black crested white rooster to white frizzle hen ?
she has gone broody. I think about 50% of chicks should be frizzles, correct?

Attachments

• 4DDD1246-E7A4-4B0B-A257-1EAA0856CFDB.jpeg
    4DDD1246-E7A4-4B0B-A257-1EAA0856CFDB.jpeg
    554.2 KB · Views: 12
  • E11589AD-255E-487D-87CE-C1C49E80811A.jpeg
    E11589AD-255E-487D-87CE-C1C49E80811A.jpeg
    626 KB · Views: 13
Thankyou guys @NatJ @RoostersAreAwesome

If you have time can you predict colour for this combination? Black crested white rooster to white frizzle hen ?
she has gone broody. I think about 50% of chicks should be frizzles, correct?
50% will be frizzled. It depends on what’s under the white of the cochin, but I’d guess you’ll either get blacks with silver leakage or something like messy silver partridge.

Back
Top Bottom