*POLL*What do you consider too much money for a chick ?

*POLL* Would you pay "top dollar" for a chick? If so, what would be your limit?

• Total voters
Ok.
My 2 cents worth, and please forgive me if I'm hopping on a soapbox here.
I admit I can get very long-winded.

My point of view is this.
For a specific variety that is uncommon, higher than usual hatchery prices are justified.

When you take into account the amount of time, effort, blood sweat, and tears that a breeder puts into developing a variety; a strain.The money.Space.Originating the idea and following through and executing a plan to get the desired specimen. The trials, and errors. The culling. The failures.
Consider the journey to get to the point where you have a specimen available for an enthusiast, I don't see those prices high.
As we were going through our chores with feeding our chicks, adults, changing water, cleaning out coops and brooders, setting out rat traps, checking the condition of the birds, etc. on a daily, I've gained a profound respect for those breeders who put in the work to have what they have.

Reading some of these breeder's stories online about going through a lot, ALOT, of chicks. For example; that breeder I posted a price list of? These guys are in the States. When outlining their breeding program with Leghorns, they write that they ONLY used Leghorn blood so as not to have to deal with washing out the issues of bringing outside varieties into it. Unless they brought something from overseas, imagine the amount of birds they went through to hone in on one variety and produce it consistently. Again, time, money in terms of feed, space, and effort. Damn right, effort. Think about what the failures do to someone that is trying to achieve a goal and they have to cull complete batches. Money lost. What about lost stock due to weather, disease, or predators. Most people don't want to go through all that hassle for a "chicken".

There are those, and rightfully so, that would not, or could not,see themselves pay more than 5 to $10 for a chick. Hell, I can go down to the feed store tomorrow and pickup some Easter eggers for $4.95 each. I'll have eggs and later meat when they're too old to lay anymore.

But just like @pony007 said; paid $36.00 for a Jubilee Orpington. $36 is in between the lowest and the highest price in the poll. For her own reasons she was eyeing it and she had to have it.

The breeder of whatever specific unique variety you are looking for is saving you the time, the effort, the money, and all that entails and you get to enjoy the end product. You are buying a culmination of his/ her work. You don't have to start from scratch -if you are so inclined-to build a line from nothing to what the end result is.

Someone has done that for you,and their hard work should be rewarded.

To the casual chicken person if it lays eggs, stays healthy, gives them pleasure then they are content,and THAT IS COOL.
But for those who are looking for something special, the prices are justified.
Totally agree! Especially when you also factor in that not every egg hatches, and all the roosters you have to get rid of when selling started pullets, those prices are easily justifiable. I don't really know where the idea that a hen that was healthy and already laying sold for more than $15 was crazy. I saw many in a local FB group gawk at $25 for a 5 month old RIR hen. I understand many regard RIRs as a common "boring" looking breed, but seriously, for an already grown hen (meaning you don't have to buy chick starter, brooder, etc) that will likely lay 200-250 eggs for about 3-4 years, $25 is totally worth it IMHO! Sadly many just don't understand what goes into a breeding program.

Totally agree! Especially when you also factor in that not every egg hatches, and all the roosters you have to get rid of when selling started pullets, those prices are easily justifiable. I don't really know where the idea that a hen that was healthy and already laying sold for more than $15 was crazy. I saw many in a local FB group gawk at $25 for a 5 month old RIR hen. Sadly many just don't understand what goes into a breeding program.
I agree. Good breeders put a lot of effort into their birds. I have paid over $50 for a 3-4 month old pullet, specific breed and bloodline. I would easily pay $20-30 for a day old chick from a reputable breeder. It all depends on what you want and what your goals are. If you just want some nice chickens to lay eggs, then hatchery chicks are fine, I have some of these, too. 😊

Ok, guys.
@Overo Mare @The Moonshiner @Nabiki @nicalandia @Kiki @ChicKat @Conan @muddy75 @Sapphire Sebright @ColtHandorf @casportpony @room onthebroom @Redhead Rae
Please tag whoever else you can to join in.

This is something I've been thinking about for a bit.
My wife and I were conversing the other night, and I think it's worth some time discussing here.
I'll sit back and add my 2 cents later on today.

Please vote and explain the reason for
Ok, guys.
@Overo Mare @The Moonshiner @Nabiki @nicalandia @Kiki @ChicKat @Conan @muddy75 @Sapphire Sebright @ColtHandorf @casportpony @room onthebroom @Redhead Rae
Please tag whoever else you can to join in.

This is something I've been thinking about for a bit.
My wife and I were conversing the other night, and I think it's worth some time discussing here.
I'll sit back and add my 2 cents later on today.

Please vote and explain the reason for your answer.

Thank you!
Never more than $5

Ok.
My 2 cents worth, and please forgive me if I'm hopping on a soapbox here.
I admit I can get very long-winded.

My point of view is this.
For a specific variety that is uncommon, higher than usual hatchery prices are justified.

When you take into account the amount of time, effort, blood sweat, and tears that a breeder puts into developing a variety; a strain.The money.Space.Originating the idea and following through and executing a plan to get the desired specimen. The trials, and errors. The culling. The failures.
Consider the journey to get to the point where you have a specimen available for an enthusiast, I don't see those prices high.
As we were going through our chores with feeding our chicks, adults, changing water, cleaning out coops and brooders, setting out rat traps, checking the condition of the birds, etc. on a daily, I've gained a profound respect for those breeders who put in the work to have what they have.

Reading some of these breeder's stories online about going through a lot, ALOT, of chicks. For example; that breeder I posted a price list of? These guys are in the States. When outlining their breeding program with Leghorns, they write that they ONLY used Leghorn blood so as not to have to deal with washing out the issues of bringing outside varieties into it. Unless they brought something from overseas, imagine the amount of birds they went through to hone in on one variety and produce it consistently. Again, time, money in terms of feed, space, and effort. Damn right, effort. Think about what the failures do to someone that is trying to achieve a goal and they have to cull complete batches. Money lost. What about lost stock due to weather, disease, or predators. Most people don't want to go through all that hassle for a "chicken".

There are those, and rightfully so, that would not, or could not,see themselves pay more than 5 to $10 for a chick. Hell, I can go down to the feed store tomorrow and pickup some Easter eggers for $4.95 each. I'll have eggs and later meat when they're too old to lay anymore.

But just like @pony007 said; paid $36.00 for a Jubilee Orpington. $36 is in between the lowest and the highest price in the poll. For her own reasons she was eyeing it and she had to have it.

The breeder of whatever specific unique variety you are looking for is saving you the time, the effort, the money, and all that entails and you get to enjoy the end product. You are buying a culmination of his/ her work. You don't have to start from scratch -if you are so inclined-to build a line from nothing to what the end result is.

Someone has done that for you,and their hard work should be rewarded.

To the casual chicken person if it lays eggs, stays healthy, gives them pleasure then they are content,and THAT IS COOL.
But for those who are looking for something special, the prices are justified.
I agree:clap
It also depends a lot on where do you live, so which prices chickens are sold usually (and how much feed costs).
Here the hatcheries only hatch industrial hybrids and supply some farmer-shops (only in a limited period of the year) and some farms specialized in poultry raising/selling, you can't just order some chicks online. If you want a specific breed you have to search for the breeders (the vast majority of which breeds only as a hobby).
With €10 you can take home a red sexlink pullet near to laying. I don't know for a day old chick, maybe €1-2.
Now the prices I'm saying are from what I see on sites like Craigslist, I don't sell eggs or chicks. For a purebred chick usually people ask €5 or less (obviously higher if the quality also is), €2 for the eggs (€3,50 if it's a very very rare breed and the parents are high-quality).
Everyone makes it's price on the effort they put on the breeding and raising, then the buyers have to decide if it worths that money or not, and if they want to spend it.

Around this part of the world there are a lot less options (as there are a lot less people) and prices for specific birds and other things are hiked because of rarity.

I will not be paying $50 for 10 Brahma eggs
or
$110 for 2 point of lay Buff Orps
or
$45 for 1 point of lay, White Sussex, RiR, White Leghorn, Blk Orp, Barred Rock, etc....

I will pay up to $30 for a point of lay pullet that comes from a good line of birds and its something that I think I really need.

My show quality Cochin Bantam Trio I paid $45 for the lot.

Most Fertile eggs around here are about $2.50 - $4 each plus shipping. I did come across a guy who was trying to sell me Sebright eggs for $8 an egg, needless to say he didnt get a sale.

Because Im a tight a$$ and because I travel around the country reasonably often I keep and eye out for eggs available in the places I will be travelling to and then bring them home myself.... This saves me upwards of $30 freight and the guarantee of how well they travelled.... only myself to blame for freight.

I see people selling fertile pheasant eggs for some staggering prices! Upwards of $22 dollars an egg!

I sell day old chicks for $8 - $12 each depending on what breed etc

There are a lot of breeds that arent even available here... which totally sucks and you would have to have pretty deep pockets to try bringing them in to the country with the biosecurity controls we have here.

Last edited:
because I travel around the country reasonably often I keep and eye out for eggs available in the places I will be travelling to and then bring them home myself.... This saves me upwards of $30 freight and the guarantee of how well they travelled.... only myself to blame for freight
Note to self...
Book a round trip to Missouri.

Back
Top Bottom