Possible disease?

Oct 30, 2023
California
I’ve got an Indio Gigante cockerel outside with the other chicks and I assumed the loss of feathering on his face was normal for a breed I know loses the majority of their face feathers but recently a friend of mine told me it looks like fowl pox early on and the one comment alone has made me spiral slightly. This coupled with the lack of images of young cockerels of the breed at this age on the internet has left me with a lot of questions could anyone here give me a hand?

Attachments

• IMG_1555.jpeg
    IMG_1555.jpeg
    358.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1553.jpeg
    IMG_1553.jpeg
    735.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1545.jpeg
    IMG_1545.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 7
No hate all love but you are hilarious! Again I saw this and it was funny to me but not all know this. This is when every one gets a chick/chicken and the are constantly looking for some kind of disease. Which is good but also makes people over react. This is just a chicken earlobe. If you lift the feathers were the “fowl pox” is you will find an ear canal. It’s good you looking out for your chicks but take it a little bit.

No hate all love but you are hilarious! Again I saw this and it was funny to me but not all know this. This is when every one gets a chick/chicken and the are constantly looking for some kind of disease. Which is good but also makes people over react. This is just a chicken earlobe. If you lift the feathers were the “fowl pox” is you will find an ear canal. It’s good you looking out for your chicks but take it a little bit.
I've owned chickens for years now but usually ones with a substantial amount more facial feathering haha, My main worry more so was the patches of featherless skin on the jaw where the wattles are and near the eyes etc. But despite my research on this breed before purchase I am certain to miss a few things lol especially with the sparse information on this breed available especially in the younger ages.

I'm also a huge worrier and it takes only one seed of doubt to send me into a worried state all day haha but this already has made me feel better! thanks for the comment!

I've owned chickens for years now but usually ones with a substantial amount more facial feathering haha, My main worry more so was the patches of featherless skin on the jaw where the wattles are and near the eyes etc. But despite my research on this breed before purchase I am certain to miss a few things lol especially with the sparse information on this breed available especially in the younger ages.

I'm also a huge worrier and it takes only one seed of doubt to send me into a worried state all day haha but this already has made me feel better! thanks for the comment!
Me too friend. But you’ll be surprised how good chickens are at healing and disease hardy they are. I’m following your other Indio gigante thread btw!

Thank you for the comment! Seeing you’ve worked with similar breeds before really does calm my nerves quite a bit!
Oriental Gamefowl, typically do lose face fluff early, but some also keep facial fluff(Females on occasion).
Indian Malay Cockerel around the same age as your chick.
20230820_184052.jpg

Oriental Gamefowl, typically do lose face fluff early, but some also keep facial fluff(Females on occasion).
Indian Malay Cockerel around the same age as your chick.View attachment 3809769
Adorable little guy! thank you so much i'm sure you as much as anyone know how little information is out there for some of these breeds so seeing a chick in a similar state to mine does reinforce.

Back
Top Bottom