Possible Marek's, please help

I've tried numerous times to save them, and some will get better for a little while, but they always relapse. In hindsight I should have euthanized them, and that's what I do now when their quality of life deteriorates. Hugs to you, because I know how traumatic this can be.
Do you hatch your own chicks from your survivors or do you bring in new vaccinated babies? Closed flock? Thanks for the hugs. They are always appreciated!

Do you hatch your own chicks from your survivors or do you bring in new vaccinated babies? Closed flock? Thanks for the hugs. They are always appreciated!
I try not to hatch chicks because almost all are just mutts, and I don't need more mutts. Last October I won a BYC contest and my prize was 10 chicks from my pet chicken. On November 8 I received 11 un-vaccinated rainbow chicks (or whatever they are called). Now they almost 7 months old and so far they look okay. Knock wood.

So it is not out of the realm of possibility to bring in unvaccinated chicks. I would love to learn more or understand more about "b" blood type in chickens. Is there a breed that tends to be more resistant in your experience?

So it is not out of the realm of possibility to bring in unvaccinated chicks. I would love to learn more or understand more about "b" blood type in chickens. Is there a breed that tends to be more resistant in your experience?
There are people that know about breeds that are resistant, but I'm not one of them, lol, though I have read that Silkies and Sebrights are *very* susceptible to it.

I try not to hatch chicks because almost all are just mutts, and I don't need more mutts. Last October I won a BYC contest and my prize was 10 chicks from my pet chicken. On November 8 I received 11 un-vaccinated rainbow chicks (or whatever they are called). Now they almost 7 months old and so far they look okay. Knock wood.
Did you isolate the new chicks for sometime? If so, how long and how?

I, too, am “dealing” with a Marek’s infected flock. I had a (supposedly) vaccinated 13 week old chick/pullet die of confirmed Marek’s last August. We have also had a slew of deaths since then from non-Marek’s causes (internal laying in older birds mostly) so I researched a lot about how to add to a Marek’s exposed flock. I’m not sure if I made the right decision, but here’s what we are in the process of doing:

Two days ago we brought home 6 chicks of various breeds (5 of which are heritage breeds). We got them from a local breeder that uses organic practices with all her birds. They are not vaccinated. This was a hard choice, given our situation, but knowing what I now know about the vaccine and the virus, we decided to do our best to attempt to raise a resistant flock and I am doing everything possible to build strong immune systems in these chicks now. I know we will likely lose some, but I lost a vaccinated chick already so there is no easy answer if I want to continue raising poultry.

Is there a breed that tends to be more resistant in your experience?

I believe Egyptian Fayoumis are supposed to be quite resistant to Marek's. I would add Legbars to @casportpony 's list of Slkies and Sebrights that are more susceptible to it.
I have broody hatched chicks from my survivors but still get the odd one that goes down with Marek's. Like Kathy I am looking to add to my flock this year without increasing my mutt population, much as I love barnyard mixes. I am probably going to try broody rearing hatching eggs from a local source.... that way hopefully the parents will have been exposed to the same Marek's strain that I have. Broody reared chicks tend to have stronger immune systems and are exposed to less stressed because they are integrated into the flock from day one. Cockerels will be removed from the flock as soon as they reach 12-14 weeks to prevent them harassing the pullets and hens when they come of age as that has been one of the key triggers in the past.

Back
Top Bottom