Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our first egg... from Buffy, my 20-week old Campine. So proud of my little girl! (Store bought egg on the left for comparison.)

And a silly newbie question... should I remove it or leave it in the nest? She hid the decoy egg so well that I can not find it.. so I thought maybe I should leave her egg in the nest until I can get a new decoy egg.

Our first egg... from Buffy, my 20-week old Campine. So proud of my little girl! (Store bought egg on the left for comparison.)

And a silly newbie question... should I remove it or leave it in the nest? She hid the decoy egg so well that I can not find it.. so I thought maybe I should leave her egg in the nest until I can get a new decoy egg.

Don't leave real eggs in the nest - it runs the risk of breakage (accidental or purposeful) which, at it's best, leads to a gross nest box and, at it's worst, runs the risk of birds developing a taste for raw eggs which can create an egg eating habit in your flock.

Once all my girls have started laying, I will take all fake eggs out of the nestbox. I'll know by then that they all have the idea.

Thank you, Ol Grey Mare and Sandywitch. This place has been so helpful in getting us fledged into the wacky world of chickenhood.

Don't leave real eggs in the nest - it runs the risk of breakage (accidental or purposeful) which, at it's best, leads to a gross nest box and, at it's worst, runs the risk of birds developing a taste for raw eggs which can create an egg eating habit in your flock.

Here is the flip side of the egg. Have to admit I felt sorry for her butt.. but she didn't make a peep and seems fine. I have read that a little blood is common on a first lay so I think she is okay and did a great job for her first time.

First egg for our last Finnish landrace Alho who wasn't laying! Virpi made a nice 36g egg, as big as the biggest we've gotten from her two sisters! They're now 26 weeks old.

Our first egg from Miss Piggy, our gold sexlink. So excited to find it!

She's been consistent and laying an egg a day since! It feels like a miracle everyday to find these beauties.

I can't wait for all of her gal pals to start laying too!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom