Poultry cups with 5 gallon bucket for waterer-anyone tried this?

gale65

Songster
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
north central indiana
My Coop
My Coop
I don't want to use nipples so I was wondering how it worked to use those cups and screw them into the bottom edge of a 5 gallon bucket? Kinda like this ( http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/poultry_cup_waterer.html ) but with the bucket instead of the pipe. We don't have a water supply near where the run will be (not one that can be hooked up all the time). OR we could use the bucket and hook the pipe up to it and then the cups on the pipe. Anyone have this type of system and can show pics?

Quote:
Opa, can you hook those up with tubing to a 5 gallon bucket. I'm thinking of poking in one of those dripper hose thingies, run the tubing down into the run and to the cup. I'm looking for something that is easy to move with a tractor.

Quote:
Opa, can you hook those up with tubing to a 5 gallon bucket. I'm thinking of poking in one of those dripper hose thingies, run the tubing down into the run and to the cup. I'm looking for something that is easy to move with a tractor.

That's almost the same as what I've done. Mine goes from the 5 gallon pail in tubing to a tee that splits the water to feed two cups on 2 cages. Works well. Like any small orfice they occasionally plug. I check my regularily by using a stick through the wire to reach and depress the yellow plunger to make sure the cup fills. That way you know for sure when a chicken pecks at it water is released. It takes about a minute to disassembly and reassemble.

Last edited:
thanks! Do you have to teach them to use the cups? Or do they figure it out easily? The MM link says not for chicks but does that mean a certain age? For example, when we let them have the run at about 4 weeks old is it ok then?

They will be fne for your 4 week old birds. You start out with filled cups and when that water is consumed they will peck at the yellow plungere

OK here's my next question about this. We have well water which is pretty hard. We've had problems with our rabbits' water bottles stopping up because of this. If I add ACV to the water will this help prevent these cup valves from getting stopped up? Or is there another way for people with rock-hard water other than traditional waterers?

Any waterer with a valve or orifice is going to require periodic maintenance to keep it working properly. While there is little one can do to prevent mineral scale from occurring, one common problem you can prevent it blockage caused by algae. A teaspoon of household bleach to 5 gallons of water will usually be sufficient to kill algae with harming your birds. Be sure not to use bleaches that contain a scent.

Back
Top Bottom