Pressure Cooker

Wolfie2

Songster
7 Years
Feb 23, 2016
South of Houston
I have been given a Presto pressure canner that needs rehab. Called Presto Corp. And they were very helpful. it is a #7 with wooden handles and was told it was made in the 1940 era. 50's on had Bakelite handles. Needs a lot of cleanup and new parts. The parts are needed for the lid, almost everything on it. Was also told that they would rehab the lid with all new parts for the price of the parts. I would only pay extra for shipping the lid to them. Shipping back to me would be on them
While digging through the net I also ran across All American canners. Never heard of them but sounds interesting. Lid bolts on, not cammed on like all others. And it has no rubber seal, steam tight via the bolt on plus a machined sealing surface. A little more expensive than a new Presto nut they are intriguing to me. Anyone hear of them, have any input on them? Inquiring mind want to know.

I have been given a Presto pressure canner that needs rehab. Called Presto Corp. And they were very helpful. it is a #7 with wooden handles and was told it was made in the 1940 era. 50's on had Bakelite handles. Needs a lot of cleanup and new parts. The parts are needed for the lid, almost everything on it. Was also told that they would rehab the lid with all new parts for the price of the parts. I would only pay extra for shipping the lid to them. Shipping back to me would be on them
While digging through the net I also ran across All American canners. Never heard of them but sounds interesting. Lid bolts on, not cammed on like all others. And it has no rubber seal, steam tight via the bolt on plus a machined sealing surface. A little more expensive than a new Presto nut they are intriguing to me. Anyone hear of them, have any input on them? Inquiring mind want to know.
I have an All American. I love it. You have to use a little olive oil on the lid so it doesnt scratch the metal to metal surface. I recommend keeping ths box for storage because you cant store the lid on the pot. Last I heard they were backordered though due to demand. The pressure gauge takes a little getting used to for the right amount of "wiggle" but thats my only complaint

Yes, their web site says they are on back order for a while but I am in no hurry!. Seems like an inprovement over the old fashoned way of building pressure canners/cookers. Thanks for the reply!

I pitched my mother's old pressure cooker, because I didn't think it was safe to use it, new seal or not. Get a new one! Much safer, and the new ones have new features, also a good thing.
Mary

I pitched my mother's old pressure cooker, because I didn't think it was safe to use it, new seal or not. Get a new one! Much safer, and the new ones have new features, also a good thing.
Mary

I got to agree here. The older pressure cookers did not have safety valves. We use the All American 915 and can do 7 quarts or 10 pints in "regular" mouth. Wide jars reduce the amount of jars you can fit in. It has a silicone blow out valve in case of over pressurization.

Bakelite is is notoriously brittle as its gets older. We used to have a lot of old products from work made in that from the 50's and our tech would break them working on them forcing us to upgrade them.

Back
Top Bottom