Prolapse and bleeding

Granny Hatchet

Tastes like chicken
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Sep 26, 2013
madison Indiana
Hi All, I am trying to treat my first prolapse and suspect there might be more going on. As I want to save this hen I am wondering if the blood is normal for prolapse or if she might of got pecked as well ? If she was pecked are her chances still good or
beating-a-dead-horse-gif-2.gif

100_1932.JPG

Granny (Pam,) I am glad that Wyorp Rock and others have been helping you so well. The pictures of the prolapse look very dark, kind of purple-black. The first picture really looked damaged, probably from pecking. I wonder if they did some damage. Is she pooping okay? You can probably feed her more. I believe that food or protein only needs to be reduced about 25% or decrease the protein, but that is only to get them to stop laying. Most hens when they stop laying will not start again for 2 weeks.

Since she is not laying, you can feed her. Wet chicken feed would probably appeal to her. I put a tsp of yogurt or some egg in it to give more flavor.

Debriding her vent would just include using a soapy wash cloth to rough up the crusty tissue to get it to barely bleed at the end of a soak. But I didn’t see crusty tissue in your last picture, just purple, so I am not sure the vent tissue is healthy. Usually vent tissue is bright and pink. Sorry that you are feeling so bad. Wish I could help more.

She sure is !! Just checked. So now what ? Back off all the meds ? Stop the tums ? Can she go back to her peeps ?

Were you giving her an antibiotic? If so, finish the course of treatment for those, otherwise I would stop the meds and see how she does.

If her vent is looking good, then I would start to re-introduce her. If she has any redness, you can apply a little pick no more or BluKote.

You did so good taking care of her Granny! I'm so very happy that she is recovering:)

Granny, I'm sorry to hear about this:hugs

It does look like she has been pecked.
Do you know if she passed the egg?
Give her a good soak in warm epsom salts, clean up the vent, then apply some Vetericyn if you have it, if not use a little triple antibiotic ointment. After the application of ointment, then apply a little hemorrhoid cream to help keep it moist. That tissue will dry out and die if not kept moist.

The pecked tissue may need to heal a little and swelling go down before the prolapse will stay in - it can take a few days, so as long as you keep it cleaned and ointment on she should do o.k.

Do your normal thing - keeping her drinking, vitamins if you have them, extra calcium.
Keep her separated, calm and in good spirits:)

Let us know how she is.

I'm so sorry:hugs

Do you have anything really moist you can apply to the tissue - A+D ointment, Prep H, etc.? That may be better than aloe - you want something that clings and doesn't dry out too fast. Sometimes a prolapse won't stay in due to swelling, that's o.k. as long as you keep it moist. It could take a couple of days for it to stay in.

You are doing good. If she will drink, she will be o.k. for a day or so without food.

I have some odd things from a wound care clinic that I used when my mom lost her toe. I will drag them out tomorrow but I remember them being put on like a sponge then dissolving on the wound .
I would also like to know how to pronounce your name Wyorp. :oops:

Take a look and see what you have.

LOL - "Wy" as in Wyandotte "Orp" as in Orpington = Wyorp
Goofy, I know:lol:

:thumbsup granny hatchet = :hugs Wyorp & Eggcessive :bow
Wow, just happen on to this, started at the beginning & didn't jump to the back. You all had my attention. Glad to hear the hen's better and granny hatchet, wishing your Dr appt goes well and you feel good soon :fl
Thank you !! Werent they awesome ! :clap I never thought in a million years I would ever be sticking my fingers up a chickens hoo-hoo but here I am rocking it !

Back
Top Bottom