Pros and cons of unsexed chicks?

PRO:
IMG_20180630_231512_390.jpg

Silkie pullet

CON:
20180604_142206.jpg

Sebright ROO

And I'm attached. Like crazy. Though I can't have a rooster.

I do usually order straight run chicks, and sell or eat the extra cockerels. That's how it goes; many cockerels, few roosters. Buying only pullets is nice for you, but have you inquired about the fate of those cockerels that didn't have a nice (if short) life at your place? And, if you start hatching at home, more than 50% (it seems) will be cockerels. Have a plan for them! Feeding a family, after having a good life, is not a bad thing. those Cornishx birds in commercial facilities are not having a nice life, as yours can have.
Right now I have probably over twenty cockerels, and will only keep two or three of them. Some will find good homes elsewhere, and some will be dinner for someone. It's hard, when you've started with four chicks, and have an unexpected cockerel that you can't keep. I know, because I started there too. It's just not possible to provide a wonderful lifetime home for every one of them!
Mary

I do usually order straight run chicks, and sell or eat the extra cockerels. That's how it goes; many cockerels, few roosters. Buying only pullets is nice for you, but have you inquired about the fate of those cockerels that didn't have a nice (if short) life at your place? And, if you start hatching at home, more than 50% (it seems) will be cockerels. Have a plan for them! Feeding a family, after having a good life, is not a bad thing. those Cornishx birds in commercial facilities are not having a nice life, as yours can have.
Right now I have probably over twenty cockerels, and will only keep two or three of them. Some will find good homes elsewhere, and some will be dinner for someone. It's hard, when you've started with four chicks, and have an unexpected cockerel that you can't keep. I know, because I started there too. It's just not possible to provide a wonderful lifetime home for every one of them!
Mary
Well put! I was kind of talking about that, too, but you wrote it down in more detail and beautifully. :)

Yeah, when I see videos of those poor Cornish Crosses, it makes me not want to eat chicken..

That's why I grow my own! Not Cornishx birds, but birds that can run around, and just have one bad day. They taste better too!
Mary
That is a very good idea, I personally just couldn't make myself eat my own birds, ha ha. :) But I understand why many people would; at least, as you said, you know they can get a good life while they're growing. :)
Plus, it's probably healthier than store-bought chicken!

Back
Top Bottom