Proud Mama of a new puppy! New Pics added weekly :-)

chickenlisa

Invincible Summer
12 Years
Apr 9, 2007
We adopted a new puppy today, his new name is Sammy (Sam later) and he is just too cute for words. I'll try to upload a pic or 2...he was born 6-7 wks ago to a beagle mix mama dog who was dumped in a church parking lot in NC, picked up by someone and brought to a shelter, but that was a kill shelter, so a non-kill shelter brought her to their little place, she gave birth to 10 different looking puppies (different daddies?) and then were all brought by some kind hearted puppy drivers up to NJ. I saw his photo on our local shelter's website and facebook, (my daughter volunteers at the same place), and she came home Saturday gushing about this adorable little fluffy puppy she saw while she was working there.
So I went yesterday to meet him and have them hold him for us in case my hubby said yes. He did :)-)) so I went early this am and got him. He's a real mix and I hope he gets really big. I want a Leonberger some day but the price of a pure bred one is just too hefty for us right now...So little Sammy has that look but will be smaller I think. What do you all think he could be? I'm thinking maybe Keeshond from the dad's side; his tail curls up and over his back somewhat. His coat is really fluffy and already course on the outer hairs. His tongue is not bluish at all so I didn't think Chow Chow mix. There were 10 puppies in the litter and 5 were bigger built and fluffy, 5 were smaller and short-haired. Some were predominately white and others were black and tan. Sammy has a creamy colored chest and a tiny white tip on the end of his tail. His paws are all lighter than his legs too.He weighs 8.5 lbs today at almost 7 wks. any ideas what he could be a mix of from your experiences? Thanks for reading this all...Lisa
Our 6 1/2 yr old black lab mix Alex is meeting him in the 1st pic and he's wiped out sleepy in the 2nd pic.

Last edited:
What a cutie!!!!
love.gif

Lucky you! I know exactly what it's like! I got my puppy, Sadie, and just wanted to scream and jump around, but I had to keep composed, since that would scare Sadie. :D Have fun with your lil guy. He's adorable!

Thank you! I couldn't sleep last night- my stomach was a mess. I've raised 5 kids, 3 Golden Retrievers, countless cats, ducks, chickens, geese....My first Golden Retriever was when I only had 3 young kids and no daughters, so she was my girl. I did all the Obedience training they could offer, then sign language and agility with her too. She was a Wonderdog to all who knew her. But when she died, my heart broke, and I think in hindsight I put up a little wall. I loved her son and daughter that we kept from her 1 litter, and now love the big black Alex, but not any of them to the level I loved her. I don't fully understand it, but I felt like when I chose this puppy, I was commiting to take him thru all the classes and trips,etc that I can so I get that close to him now. It's a huge commitment and I finally feel ready to go through it again. It's been 8 yrs since our Wonderdog died and I can't even talk about her out loud without crying still. What a headcase I'd be for a Dr. I know...
Here's his pic that the shelter used, the one that sold me on him!

Last edited:
Here he was yesterday, before it got SOOOOO cold today (and before he gets too big to do this with.) We have a pic of our last Golden Retriever at the same age, and she was pretty little looking compared to Sammy- 8 wks old(he is today and he's up to 10 lbs!) for both of them too. We're hoping he gets pretty big, but with a med sized mom, probably not.

I don't know what breeds are in his background - could be just about anything. I've seen litters where both parents were mixed and the puppies didn't even look related, even with just one dad. You never know how those genes are going to combine. But one thing is for sure - he is a handsome little guy! And he looks good in red.

I haven't got a clue what that little fella is, but it'll probably be easier to tell as he gets older. Man he is CUTE though! I'm doing the puppy thing right now myself (my guy is 6 months old now, an Olde English Bulldogge), so I can sympathize with all of the worry that goes into raising a new baby! Good luck with him!
Nikki

He looks very different in the two pics, in the shelter pic he has the look of a newfie, the shape of the head is similar.... In the second pic, he looks more like a Golden retriever, it will be interesting to see more pics as he grows, whatever he is he is very cute
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom