Jparrish1828

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2023
First time chicken keeper here. I ordered a mixed flock of “females” from Myers hatchery. I have a few suspect males, however, this one is my most “concerning” one at the moment.

Hatch date April 24th 2023, just over 8 weeks old. Any guess on gender right now, or still too early to tell?
IMG_3031.jpeg
IMG_3025.jpeg
img_3037-jpeg.3549842
IMG_3058.jpeg
IMG_3028.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3037.jpeg
    IMG_3037.jpeg
    465.1 KB · Views: 132
Nothing is saying cockerel at this point! The comb can redden when they're excited, so if you gave them treats to lure in them in for a photo, or just your presence in the run may have triggered the red in the first pic. Because in the fourth pic the comb looks pale!

Learned my lesson last week to trust feathers first, then combs. So my vote is pullet!

This could go both ways. Right now I'm seeing two photos where the comb is very suspicious, and one where the comb is pretty typical for a bird this age. That's telling me it's probably redness from other factors, not indication of gender. Right now I'll say give it 2 more weeks

This could go both ways. Right now I'm seeing two photos where the comb is very suspicious, and one where the comb is pretty typical for a bird this age. That's telling me it's probably redness from other factors, not indication of gender. Right now I'll say give it 2 more weeks
Thanks! Yeah, I have noticed I have two birds that their combs will get darker and lighter. So maybe there is still hope! I will update in a few weeks, thank you!

Nothing is saying cockerel at this point! The comb can redden when they're excited, so if you gave them treats to lure in them in for a photo, or just your presence in the run may have triggered the red in the first pic. Because in the fourth pic the comb looks pale!

Learned my lesson last week to trust feathers first, then combs. So my vote is pullet!
I am hoping it’s just a Reddening thing, it does seem to change color through out the day. I will post some more pics in a few weeks. Thank you!

Looks like a cockerel to me.
I am hoping not, this is the only blue layer I ordered, plus I cannot keep males. Luckily, my parents have agreed to take any males I might have. Think next time I will go with the starter pullets and not the day old, but I wanted the kids to enjoy the babies and watching them grow.

I am hoping not, this is the only blue layer I ordered, plus I cannot keep males. Luckily, my parents have agreed to take any males I might have. Think next time I will go with the starter pullets and not the day old, but I wanted the kids to enjoy the babies and watching them grow.
You could consider getting sex linked or auto sexing breeds in the future, you can usually tell the males from females at just a day old!

Back
Top Bottom