Quail get bloody leg then die help!

Chewntoys

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2018
I got 5 quail in the usps mail about 10 days ago. All appeared healthy. I made a cage of pvc frame/ 1/2" chicken wire. All males, I think bobwhite. One had blood on his back leg. I removed him. He died overnight . Another day, another bloody leg. Foot fine, knee and thigh not. This has repeatedly happened for about 10 days since getting the birds. No feathers on wire to indicate escape attempts. No plucking of each other. One of the birds had maggots inside his thigh. All of them have exposed bone. They die. I have one dying now, and one that appears fine in the cage. The first bird had green on his leg and I thought it was going through the coated wire. I put a board under because the ground was uneven. Then put dirt inside to protect their feet. Is this disease, abuse, fungus?

Welcome to BYC.
I am sorry you are having problems...can you post a photo of your cage?
It sounds like there is some how some way they are hurting themselves in it.
A photo may help us to point out a problem.
This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

How awful - maggots in a wound are from fly strike. Flies lay eggs in wounds, which hatch into maggots. They start out eating diseased tissue - when that runs out that go after living tissue. They can migrate through the body to the brain. Wounded birds should never be outside and exposed to flies until wounds have healed.

Maggots make everything WORSE than the original wound.

How awful - maggots in a wound are from fly strike. Flies lay eggs in wounds, which hatch into maggots. They start out eating diseased tissue - when that runs out that go after living tissue. They can migrate through the body to the brain. Wounded birds should never be outside and exposed to flies until wounds have healed.

Maggots make everything WORSE than the original wound.
Exactly. Maggots take time and were tiny but Bird died overnight of leg issue. Bird showed no evidence nite before

Welcome to BYC.
Welcome to BYC.
0730181558c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom