Quail get bloody leg then die help!

The wire is 1/2" chicken wire. Coated.
Those holes are too big.
Look for something like this. (maybe I should have said 1/4 inch)
JPEG_20180730_205147_1829743277039152129.jpg

Maybe something is getting them through the chicken wire?

Pics of the cage?
Cage is wire all sides. Shade and cool gunny cloth that I wet down and shade from boards on side and back. After this pic I put a board under for stability and then added dirt inside to pad the floor.

Attachments

• 0725181029.jpg
    0725181029.jpg
    973.8 KB · Views: 5
Cage is wire all sides. Shade and cool gunny cloth that I wet down and shade from boards on side and back. After this pic I put a board under for stability and then added dirt inside to pad the floor.
This wire you have it too big...it will not keep predators out.

After looking at the pics, it is probably a cat injurying your birds. @KikisGirls is absolutely right, put 1/2" HC all around the enclosure, cat's can get their paws through 1" openings with ease!
I just had a feral cat get 3 of my juvenile pheasants, last night...right through 1" square welded wire enclosure. Ate one completely, beheaded another, and ate the breast on the other one. :hit
I'll have a dead cat, if it comes back tonight, ;) set traps all around the enclosure.

Please , please dump the chickenwire. Switch to 1/4" HARDWARE CLOTH, also put a skirt under their cage so nothing digs up underneath them. You may need to go to electrified fencing.

The wire is 1/2" chicken wire. Coated.
Looks like 1" to me, measure hole with a tape measure.
What size is that PVC? ..1/2" (actual OD is 7/8") or 3/4" (actual OD is 1 1/16").

Look for something like this. (maybe I should have said 1/4 inch)
That look like 1/2" HC (unless you have very tiny fingers)

Wonders if quail were injured before they shipped and wounds became infected?
How closely did you inspect them when they arrived?

Looks like 1" to me, measure hole with a tape measure.
What size is that PVC? ..1/2" (actual OD is 7/8") or 3/4" (actual OD is 1 1/16").

That look like 1/2" HC (unless you have very tiny fingers)

Wonders if quail were injured before they shipped and wounds became infected?
How closely did you inspect them when they arrived?
You are right!
IMG_20180731_073137.jpg

UPDATE from yesterday. The last bird is fine! No blood or injury. Probably killed the others, but will double fence more. Thank you for your help! I appreciate it! I will keep you informed!

Back
Top Bottom