juanoira

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2019
Hello!
I'm having trouble with cats where my crops are, so I'm building a huge cage with chicken wire to protect them (3x10 meters x 2 meter tall). I had the beautiful idea to put a small coop with about 6-10 quails inside the cage. They will help me solve my "mealybugs" or "woodlouse" problem and give me eggs while having a nice life for themselves.

The question is: will they do too much damage to vegetables such as lettuce, spinach, cucumber, beans, etc?? Of course I will feed them their regular food too. Maybe I could keep them in the coop and set them loose in the cage twice a week. Will they sleep in the coop or will they nest whereever they want? Any ideas?

Thankssss

I have my quail in my garden beds, but I only put them in the beds that I am laying to rest for a while. They will peck at and destroy small plants, and they like to eat lettuce, spinach, cucumber, zucchini. Mine don't seem to like the beans so much. I may let them loose in a bed that has large tomato plants to see how they do with those, but I wouldn't put them in with young tomatoes.

Edit: They're not likely to sleep in the coop. They tend to bed down in the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom