Questions about Permethrin

Scissors65

Songster
May 8, 2019
Palmetto, Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I live in Florida. Hot and humid=bugs. Can I spray Permethrin on my lawn? Will it help with no-seeums?
I only let my chickens out of their run when I am at home for a few hours a day, but I am concerned if I spray the Permethrin, will it be safe for the chickens to graze on the grass and bugs ? Of course I would not let them out until it dries, but I don't want to poison my babies.
I have been treating for mites in an old coop, but I just moved my girls in a new one my husband and I just finished, so fingers crossed..... I don't see any on my girls, so I am assuming they were red mites.
I use DE in their dust baths and around the coop, but the rain doesn't help, it just seems to wash it away.
Please any information on mixing ratios for on the bird application and in the yard application would be a great help.
Thank you in advance for your advise!

I also live in Florida. Instead of DE, I use permethrin dust in the dust bath and on them. I have sprayed them too but dusting is easier for me. I also put the dust in their nest boxes. I had a lot of flies in the coops. Since I have been regularly spraying the coops, I have way less flies. Don't know about yard use. I have rain/shade tables in all of my pens and the birds like to dust bathe under them especially in the summer.
IMG_20181202_133523.jpg

DE won't rid your problem.
Permethrin will.

Yes you can use it to spray your yard...it rids fleas too.

It depends on which exact Permethrin product you buy as to how much mixing if any needs to be done.

I also live in Florida. Instead of DE, I use permethrin dust in the dust bath and on them. I have sprayed them too but dusting is easier for me. I also put the dust in their nest boxes. I had a lot of flies in the coops. Since I have been regularly spraying the coops, I have way less flies. Don't know about yard use. I have rain/shade tables in all of my pens and the birds like to dust bathe under them especially in the summer.
View attachment 1876287
Thank you!

Spraying an insecticide around your yard will kill all the insects, including butterflies, bees, moths, other beneficials, and frogs too. Permethrin in the coop and on the birds works very well, but outside it's just too much, IMO.
Mary

As a beekeeper, I agree whole-heartedly. You'll kill a whole lot more good bugs than bad bugs if you just go dusting that stuff all over.

"No-seeums." You must be referring to sand gnats that come out of the marsh early in the mornings and late afternoons. Yes, they will eat you alive. Apply Avon Skin So Soft on your exposed skin, face and neck areas and wear a hat, they will get in your hair and on your scalp. Or spray yourself with Cutters bug spray, it's good against sand gnats for a few hours.
I dont recommend spraying your yard with Permethrin. You dont want your birds eating grass with a chemical on it. You can spray your birds with Permethrin liquid or dust them with Permethrin dust, inside the coop as well. Permethrin is good for 28 days. Mixing instructions are attached on the liquid container.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom