Rabbit Kit emergency please help

-Clementine-

Songster
Nov 18, 2020
Denial- the state
Wrong forum I know, but I can’t get my email to work to sign up for any other rabbit forum or BYH. My doe has been having trouble with nesting and kindling. She did not make a nest and ended up having her first kit on the cage floor, so I took it into the house to warm it up because it was freezing to death. I moved it into the nest box with hay I put in it, after I warmed it up. She had been tearing her hair out and putting it everywhere, but she made no formal attempt at nesting. About an hour and a half later, she had seven more in the nest box. Instead of cleaning them and feeding them, she stood in the nest box for at least a few hours, so when I went to go check on them this evening/night, I found her still in the nest box with most of them crushed. I managed to save five of them after I found them in a state where I thought they were actually dead. They were freezing to the touch and barely responsive. They are warmed up and wiggling now, but I don’t know what to do. I don’t know if I should put them back out with their mom tomorrow, as she has shown little interest in nesting and feeding them. (Yes, I do know that rabbit moms leave their kits alone for extended amounts of time, but I’m worried because she spend hours in the nest box eating the hay and not covering her babies to the point where they were freezing and being crushed to death)
The breeder I got them from has bred her two times, I’m pretty sure. I don’t know what to do, and I know that bottle raising rabbits is really hard, but I don’t know if their mother will actually care for them if I put them outside again.

sorry I sound so frantic. I am flat out exhausted right now. I have bred and raised rabbits before, but have no experience at all when it comes to situations like this. I can’t Google anything related to this either and I just don’t know what to do.

sorry I sound so frantic. I am flat out exhausted right now. I have bred and raised rabbits before, but have no experience at all when it comes to situations like this. I can’t Google anything related to this either and I just don’t know what to do.
It must have been a horrible shock to discover this, draining as well as demanding your attention. I think I'd be frantic.
I'm very sorry, I can't offer advice; but I really hope someone can help because my grandson (age 10) two days ago messaged with a similar sort of problem. I did search online and went on a rabbit forum, similar to BYC, but I couldn't find much that was helpful. He found 4 kits out of the nest and dead and 11 in the nest but wet. (I only found was that the Mum wouldn't have deliberately ejected the kits.)

Wrong forum I know, but I can’t get my email to work to sign up for any other rabbit forum or BYH. My doe has been having trouble with nesting and kindling. She did not make a nest and ended up having her first kit on the cage floor, so I took it into the house to warm it up because it was freezing to death. I moved it into the nest box with hay I put in it, after I warmed it up. She had been tearing her hair out and putting it everywhere, but she made no formal attempt at nesting. About an hour and a half later, she had seven more in the nest box. Instead of cleaning them and feeding them, she stood in the nest box for at least a few hours, so when I went to go check on them this evening/night, I found her still in the nest box with most of them crushed. I managed to save five of them after I found them in a state where I thought they were actually dead. They were freezing to the touch and barely responsive. They are warmed up and wiggling now, but I don’t know what to do. I don’t know if I should put them back out with their mom tomorrow, as she has shown little interest in nesting and feeding them. (Yes, I do know that rabbit moms leave their kits alone for extended amounts of time, but I’m worried because she spend hours in the nest box eating the hay and not covering her babies to the point where they were freezing and being crushed to death)
The breeder I got them from has bred her two times, I’m pretty sure. I don’t know what to do, and I know that bottle raising rabbits is really hard, but I don’t know if their mother will actually care for them if I put them outside again.
I had that happen to me once. Give them goatmilk mixed with whipping cream and put it in a syringe preferably where they can suck the milk out rather than you squeezing it into their mouths. If you can save some of mama's fur then make a nest of it and put the kits in.

Back
Top Bottom