Really bad hen injury from raccoon GRAPHIC

Sethgrom

Hatching
Jul 29, 2022
Hello. 2 nights ago a group of raccoons were smart enough to rip off the metal hatches out of the wood to my coop which resulted in 5 of my 7 hens killed. There are 2 survivors one is perfectly fine but the other, (my favorite) has a large chunk bitten out of her breast. It is very hard to find a vet near me that would even look at her but a friend of mine who is a small animals vet looked at her and told me that stitches were most likely out of the question because there is not enough meat/skin to sew. I’m cleaning her wound 3x a day with vetericyn+ and neosporin (not pain relief) she seems to be pretty alert, is eating an drinking still and I have her in electrolytes. Looking at the picture, is this worth tending to and giving her a fighting chance or should I seriously consider euthanasia. I really cannot put her down myself. Thank you
F20D4079-1BBA-4AED-BBD1-5AA337A590DC.jpeg
CE569C81-1B69-466A-8E6E-43FE4F0B093D.jpeg

I posted this thread in the “predators and pests” thread as well but not sure where this would be more suitable.

60885957-74A1-4DC9-A870-D70CC26915DA.jpeg
Hello. 2 nights ago a group of raccoons were smart enough to rip off the metal hatches out of the wood to my coop which resulted in 5 of my 7 hens killed. There are 2 survivors one is perfectly fine but the other, (my favorite) has a large chunk bitten out of her breast. It is very hard to find a vet near me that would even look at her but a friend of mine who is a small animals vet looked at her and told me that stitches were most likely out of the question because there is not enough meat/skin to sew. I’m cleaning her wound 3x a day with vetericyn+ and neosporin (not pain relief) she seems to be pretty alert, is eating an drinking still and I have her in electrolytes. Looking at the picture, is this worth tending to and giving her a fighting chance or should I seriously consider euthanasia. I really cannot put her down myself. Thank you

Attachments

• 78D3D0B6-F415-4DD7-B278-DA35A9F15F68.jpeg
    78D3D0B6-F415-4DD7-B278-DA35A9F15F68.jpeg
    556.5 KB · Views: 6
This will take along time to heal. As long as she's active, eating, & drinking, I don't think putting her down would be necessary.

How's the breast bone? Hard too tell in the picture.

This will take along time to heal. As long as she's active, eating, & drinking, I don't think putting her down would be necessary.

How's the breast bone? Hard too tell in the picture.
Thank you for the reply. She’s not bleeding and she is eating and drinking so I figured that was a good sign. Breast bone in tact, you can feel the very tip of what I would imagine would be the wishbone or if that is the breast bone I’m not sure. I can try and take more pictures if that would help

Thank you for the reply. She’s not bleeding and she is eating and drinking so I figured that was a good sign. Breast bone in tact, you can feel the very tip of what I would imagine would be the wishbone or if that is the breast bone I’m not sure. I can try and take more pictures if that would help
You're welcome.

Good that the breast bone is intact.

I am so sorry!!! Try covering it and or bandaging it. As long as she is eating and drinking and alert I don't think you would need to put her down. Separate her and bandage it if possible and keep doing what you're doing! So sorry about your chickens😥

I am so sorry!!! Try covering it and or bandaging it. As long as she is eating and drinking and alert I don't think you would need to put her down. Separate her and bandage it if possible and keep doing what you're doing! So sorry about your chickens😥
No bandages. It's best to air heal.

I agree, I'd leave unwrapped and no stitches.

For a wound that large, I'd give her an oral antibiotic as well. Amoxicillin would be a good choice. You can sometime find it at TSC, if not, order it online.

It's going to take a good while for that to heal over...months.
If she's eating/drinking, that's a good sign. I'd keep her eating her normal feed. Extra protein a few times a week too (eggs, fish or meat).

She might heal, over time.
She needs to be inside, away from flies! If you can manage the fly situation at the coop, nice, but don't count on it. Also, no straw or shavings, that wound needs to be as clean as possible. Old towels, or best would be those disposable hospital pads, or puppy pads. Clean, not slippery, and won't add stuff to the wound.
Silvadene is a Rx ointment, see if your vet will supply some or write a script for it. The other OTC choice would be Maluka honey, another good wound dressing.
Dead tissue will need to be trimmed off if it happens.
Raccoons can carry rabies, always something to consider for you, if you were handling these birds right after this attack. The rabies virus doesn't live a long time in the environment, but check with your MD or Public Health about it, for your sake.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom