Rhode Island Red or Brahma?

thecreekhouse

Songster
Feb 26, 2015
East Tennessee
I have a small backyard flock of pullets. I wanted a mixed flock and that’s what I have: one Silkie, one Ameracauna, one Olive Egger and one large Cochin. I have space to add one final pullet to my flock and I’ve narrowed my selection down to two breeds: Brahma and RIR. I’d like some input from others on which I should get.

I’m looking for a hen that stands out visually from the chickens I already have; I love watching my flock so aesthetics are important. I like pretty chickens. I also want a calm and curious chicken that won’t flee every time I come near. I’d like regular egg production and I’d prefer brown eggs to white since I already have a Cochin and a Silkie, both of whom will lay white eggs.

So which do you think I should go with? A light Brahma or a Rhode Island Red?

Personally Economics say RIR. That RIR is heat and cold hardy lays large to x-large 5 plus eggs per week. Males aggressive, all females not. While light Brahma may be sweeter disposition only get 3-4 eggs per week of medium size. The Brahma is going to eat you out of house and home as 9-10 lb. hen while the RIR is only 6 lbs. easier on feed bill. The Brahma also gets broody frequently. Not good unless breeding. The RIR not broody plus pretty brown eggs. My money on RIR. :)

Personally Economics say RIR. That RIR is heat and cold hardy lays large to x-large 5 plus eggs per week. Males aggressive, all females not. While light Brahma may be sweeter disposition only get 3-4 eggs per week of medium size. The Brahma is going to eat you out of house and home as 9-10 lb. hen while the RIR is only 6 lbs. easier on feed bill. The Brahma also gets broody frequently. Not good unless breeding. The RIR not broody plus pretty brown eggs. My money on RIR. :)

Not going to deny Melky's post here. Speaking the truth on Brahma's and their need for feed. However a Brahma will stick out as being a great Chickenpuppy! Brahmas are sweet chow hounds that will follow you around, jump up on your lap, and in general make a visual statement on the lawn.

Not going to deny you have to pay a bit more in your feed bill, but it's worth it. My money is on Brahma. (just playin with Melky) Either way you are going to get a good chicken.

Ok, won't lie i'm not a fan of RIR's they are more trouble than they're worth in a mixed flock and if you have docile birds they're terrorists.
I do love brahmas, yeah they eat alot but the personality makes up for that in spades.
One of the few breeds I can bring in the house if they have problems and cause less trouble than a housecat.:)
20190130_160155.jpg

@thecreekhouse Please keep us informed on which way you go... Remember @Melky and I have money on this. Not that it should influence you on which way to go... but I will give you half my winnings if you go Brahma which should help you with all that extra feed you will need.... again not trying to influence the bet. I would never do that. I am not competitive in any way shape or form.:plbb

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom