roo vs hen Barred rocks

Also, the Rhode Island red on the right in the middle picture is showing what looks to be male specific feathering. I would double check on the RIRs, too.
Here’s the best pictures I just got! She’s the bossiest of the coop!

Attachments

• IMG_5294.jpeg
    IMG_5294.jpeg
    696.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5296.jpeg
    IMG_5296.jpeg
    940.4 KB · Views: 7
Here’s the best pictures I just got! She’s the bossiest of the coop!
At 10 weeks, that is another cockerel. The comb/wattles are huge for that age. Also, you can see shiny feathers starting to come in at the shoulders and the saddle area. That is the beginning of what we call male specific feathers. The ones by the saddle will grow in long, narrow and pointed.

In the three original pictures, the first one also has the same thing, but it's more obvious. Those red feathers growing in at the shoulders and saddle area are the beginnings of male specific feathering. They also indicate that this bird is a mix, not a pure barred rock. The first cockerel is also mixed. Not sure about the rest of them.

So of the four birds discussed in this thread, only the barred one with the small, pale comb in picture 3 is a female. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's best to know what you've got before trouble arises.

At 10 weeks, that is another cockerel. The comb/wattles are huge for that age. Also, you can see shiny feathers starting to come in at the shoulders and the saddle area. That is the beginning of what we call male specific feathers. The ones by the saddle will grow in long, narrow and pointed.

In the three original pictures, the first one also has the same thing, but it's more obvious. Those red feathers growing in at the shoulders and saddle area are the beginnings of male specific feathering. They also indicate that this bird is a mix, not a pure barred rock. The first cockerel is also mixed. Not sure about the rest of them.

So of the four birds discussed in this thread, only the barred one with the small, pale comb in picture 3 is a female. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news but it's best to know what you've got before trouble arises.
Thank you so much! I appreciate your insight and information! Time to find some homes for the roos

Back
Top Bottom