Rooster killed a squirrel!

A couple years ago I heard an eagle screaming in my backyard at the top of its voice. I ran outside thinking I was gonna have to save a chicken from the eagle. At first I was so confused because I couldn't see the eagle. I finally realized that it was coming from under the deck. I laid down to look under and it was one of the stray cats with a squirrel in its mouth. It was the squirrel screaming. OMG exactly like an eagle. It only screamed for a few more seconds.
ep.gif

Several years ago I was bit by a squirrel. The state required me to by tested for rabies. Man they have razors for teeth, went right through the pad of my thumb to the backside of the nail. I kept trying to shake it off. Imagine me standing on the deck waving a squirrel by its teeth.

Imp-I now feed squirrels from a distance

I heard of cats and dogs killing squirrels never a rooster though

Can you please tell us the breed and size of the rooster that did this? I could use a rooster like that as we have a rat problem here!

I have been getting low returns from my hens the last week or so and DH was thinking a rodent of some sort was coming in and taking the eggs. I was skeptical not because I didn't think it could happen but I never found any sign of the eggs.

Well, I suspect he was right and it wasn't a mouse it was a squirrel.

The birds fre range in the afternoons when I am home. So their coop door was open. I hear a big commotion and tear out to defend my girls when I see the rooster doing a masterful job!
big_smile.png

He had this squirrel in both feet talons dug in deep. He flew up and threw the squirrel a couple of feet and as the squirrel tried to run away he flew up and landed on it again with both feet forward and digging!

He did that a couple more times until the squirrel stopped moving. I was impressed. I didn't think he had it in him!
Wow my rooster just watches the squirrel eat out of the feeder 😳

I have been getting low returns from my hens the last week or so and DH was thinking a rodent of some sort was coming in and taking the eggs. I was skeptical not because I didn't think it could happen but I never found any sign of the eggs.

Well, I suspect he was right and it wasn't a mouse it was a squirrel.

The birds fre range in the afternoons when I am home. So their coop door was open. I hear a big commotion and tear out to defend my girls when I see the rooster doing a masterful job!
big_smile.png

He had this squirrel in both feet talons dug in deep. He flew up and threw the squirrel a couple of feet and as the squirrel tried to run away he flew up and landed on it again with both feet forward and digging!

He did that a couple more times until the squirrel stopped moving. I was impressed. I didn't think he had it in him!
This is great! I wish my rooster would do this, we have a terrible ground squirrel infestation in our neighborhood farms and I am constantly chasing them out of the pen. My roo is a juvenile, maybe he'll learn as he gets older.

I have squirrels in my bird's building all the time and they do not touch the eggs. More likely the girls just had lower production during that timeframe. Squirrels are very smart and agile but eggs are awkward to carry and if eaten on the spot there would be shells.
Sad for the poor squirrel - wonder why the roo was so pi__ed off at him!
My roo sometimes does a little run after a squirrel - nothing serious - just to make them move! I think he has fun doing it. Then he's satisfied and goes back to whatever he was doing.
JJ
I have video of a ground squirrel going into the coop and stealing the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom