Rooster killed a squirrel!

Can I borrow your roo?
gig.gif

You would not believe the damage those tree rats do to my garden. The little *@&$^@@ carried off all my lemon cucumbers, the apples off our trees that just started producing and most of our grapes last year. And yes, they can carry round egg shaped things without trouble.

Well, that's one Ninja Roo that shouldn't make the stewpot! Awesome story!
We have a squirrel here that I think is just part of my flock sometimes. She has no tail and is missing her right forepaw. She plays with the birds and to my knowledge has never gone into the coop. Raised her own family last year, too, in a tree that overlooks one of my pens. She cleans up the extra scratch the birds dont see. I prefer her not to hang around the flock, but she has survived over a year with her deformities and unless she starts going into the coops, I dont have the heart to do away with her.

I rehab baby squirrels. When tree trimming time comes around there are always plenty of nests destroyed and babies left homeless. Once the nest is destroyed the parents will generally abandon the young. That's where I come in. I become the surogate mom feeding them and keeping them warm. I have already gone to work with tiny babies in my shirt pockets. It is a 24 hour job taking care of the littlest of these guys, but I have over a 95% return to wild rate. It is not unusual to have between 50 and 100 squirrels in our back yard for feeding time. I can't relocate them to other locations because they may carry a germ that out of area squirrels are not immune to. And to answer the question - YES I get bit all the time. Squirrels don't carry rabbies so other than the pain it's OK.

squirrel1.jpg

I appreciate your values - really I do. All of Gaia's creatures should have their own champions!

But here, they are rodents with good press agents (cute tails that make them more appealing than rats.) They cause huge damage in crops and buildings. They nearly burned down my old house by chewing through the wiring that connected the house to the street electric wiring.

The squirrels are eaten by many critters here. The corpse was gone this morning.

It was a natural battle between creatures whose opinions of their own survival conflicted. The roo won.

HOLY COW! GOOD roo you have there! And people talk of removing roo spurs.... This is an excellent example of why not to!

I have WHAT in my yard? :

I appreciate your values - really I do. All of Gaia's creatures should have their own champions!

But here, they are rodents with good press agents (cute tails that make them more appealing than rats.) They cause huge damage in crops and buildings. They nearly burned down my old house by chewing through the wiring that connected the house to the street electric wiring.

The squirrels are eaten by many critters here. The corpse was gone this morning.

It was a natural battle between creatures whose opinions of their own survival conflicted. The roo won.

I didn't say I don't eat squirrels when I go to Michigan for hunting.
big_smile.png

I've got a grey squirrel who resided in a silver maple tree out backyard and once in a while I forgot to pick up the collected eggs and once in a while i would find eggs near the tree base which the squirrel was chattering noisely when I stood under it to get the egg. He would not have any problems getting into the bantam eggs but the LF eggs, no, he could not carry them off unless he would eat them on the spot.

I would NOT be surprised to see squirrels eating eggs. After all they love my peanut butter and jelly sandwiches I leave out in the front door LOL.

Back
Top Bottom