Rooster killed a squirrel!

My vet told me a story as a boy he saw a squirrel ambush and kill a robin. So I think if one realizes that there is food available then it will do what it needs to do.

Quote:
I'll let you know as soon as one of his girlies goes broody!
wink.png

After his "victory" he quickly established a little victory over one of his fav girls!!
lol.png

Read that story more closely --

"Rabid squirrels are extremely rare, with only eight reported cases since 1950, Cole said. It was the first reported case in a dozen years statewide, he said. "

That's 8 cases reported, in the entire country, in more than 50 years!

Yes, it's *possible* -- but it is EXTREMELY unlikely. I'm a LOT more worried about getting struck by lightning or getting eaten by a shark.
wink.png

Not only will squirrels eat eggs, they'll eat baby birds. Not that many squirrels would want to tackle chicken eggs or chicks or take a chance on entering a coop. But they are omnivores & take advantage of high protein, high energy foods especially when they themselves have nestlings.

Fox squirrels are not nearly the nuisance that gray squirrels are. In my area, fox squirrels are becoming endangered as the grays ("city" squirrels) move in & take over their territory. The grays are the ones that we find in the garage, the ones that nibble on the door frames & destroy the bird feeders.

Occasionally, a gray will squeeze into the chickens' run (2x4 welded wire) & finish up any food they can find. So far, none has entered the coop.

I have WHAT in my yard? :

Quote:
I'll let you know as soon as one of his girlies goes broody!
wink.png

After his "victory" he quickly established a little victory over one of his fav girls!!
lol.png

Just make sure you know WHO you're selling them to and for what purpose if you get my drift
wink.png
(I don't want to say the actual subjuct since it's forbidden). I would be so proud of your rooster! I wonder how good of a daddy he'll be! I've seen my silkie chase squirrels before to and they run straight at them all puffed up. They couldn't catch them though
lol.png

I have to say that rooster is something! he must have thought the squirrel was threatening the flock or something to go nonsense on the squirrel like that. i have seen roosters succesfuly holding back stray dogs with bad intentions that were 10 times their size. amazing what they can do in the name of survival.

as far as the squirrel debate, i have mixed feelings...they are lovely creatures, and "one-up" us humans sometimes in how adaptable they are...they can also be a terrible nuisance, they terrorize the dogs in the yard, teasing them just out of reach, and are OBVIOUSLY getting a big kick out of it! we occasionally live trap a really obnoxious one and move it to another neighborhood. though now that it's nesting time we wouldn't be so likely to do so. you could say it's our fault for building our stupid cities everywhere under their trees...got to love an animal that can only mate after it's been chased around a tree like a maniac.

they can also be a terrible nuisance, they terrorize the dogs in the yard, teasing them just out of reach, and are OBVIOUSLY getting a big kick out of it!

They used to torture my aunt's poodle. They knew EXACTLY how long the chain was and would sit inches from the dogs face and chatter as she strained against the chain barking her head off. One day my uncle added a few extra links...LOL​

I heard screaming out in my front yard 2 summers ago. I went outside to see what the fuss was and watched a flicker trying to defend her nest against a squirrel. The squirrel would go into the nest, pop back out and go over a branch and eat the egg it had stolen. It did this again and again till it emptied the nest of all eggs. It ate 4 in total as far as I could tell. I felt really bad for the flicker because she couldnt save her clutch but had to admire the sheer brass of the little tree nazi as it sat there calmly chowing down while the flicker flew at it screaming as loud as it could.
Amazing the things you can witness isnt it?

I have WHAT in my yard? :

I have been getting low returns from my hens the last week or so and DH was thinking a rodent of some sort was coming in and taking the eggs. I was skeptical not because I didn't think it could happen but I never found any sign of the eggs.

Well, I suspect he was right and it wasn't a mouse it was a squirrel.

The birds fre range in the afternoons when I am home. So their coop door was open. I hear a big commotion and tear out to defend my girls when I see the rooster doing a masterful job!
big_smile.png

He had this squirrel in both feet talons dug in deep. He flew up and threw the squirrel a couple of feet and as the squirrel tried to run away he flew up and landed on it again with both feet forward and digging!

He did that a couple more times until the squirrel stopped moving. I was impressed. I didn't think he had it in him!

WELL DONE.
woot.gif
D.gif
Hope he gets a real good treat.
pop.gif
Can I borrow him.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom