Rooster Selection Question

Hayduke27

Songster
9 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Gunnison, CO
Hi everyone!

I have a rooster question, but of a different variety from most that you usually see. I have had chickens for over 6 years now and during that time have always had roosters. I have gone through a number of them, and already understand the basic ins and outs of raising my flock with roosters. With that being said, here is the background of my current dilemma:

Let me start by saying that I keep a rooster simply for the pleasure of the rooster dynamic in my flock. I do plan on doing some very small scale hatching within my flock, but I am by no means breeding to any standards or anything like that. My flock is a mixed flock of about 18 hens. This spring my cochin rooster died suddenly one night. He was a good boy, as you can expect out of Cochins, and it was a bummer. Within the next couple of weeks a local lady posted that she had a rooster she was looking to re-home, and I took her up on it.

This new rooster is a lavender Orpington. He is a lovely chicken, and from what she told me he is a relatively rare chicken and was pretty expensive. He's about 2 years old. He has a couple of downsides: first off, he is slightly aggressive. I've had some terrible roosters, and this guy is not my worst by any stretch of the imagination. However, you do have to keep an eye on him. He will charge you when your back is turned and occasionally will jump up and flog at about knee level. I am not afraid of him and do not have children visiting my yard, so this isn't as big of a deal as it sounds, but it is not the greatest trait. On top of this he has been crowing more and more. He has been crowing starting at about 5am for 45 minutes straight. He is still in the coop during this time, and I am afraid it's going to start bugging the neighbors (this is an urban coop). Furthermore, when I go out in the yard he will crow nonstop while I am out there, and I find this very annoying.

The next part of the story is that this spring I got 26 straight run Americaunas, and they are now old enough that I am culling them. I have a couple of Americauna cockerels that seem to have potential to be good roosters, and here is my dilemma. Do I cull my Orpington in the hopes that one of the Americaunas growns up to be a good rooster? These Americaunas are from a local farm that is breeding them specifically, and they are beautiful chickens. I would also have the potential for their offspring to be olive-eggers. I have researched Americauna roosters and it sounds like they can be friendly or terrible, as with many breeds it varies by the individual chicken. I also fully understand that at this young age it is very tough to know if my cockerels will still be friendly once those hormones kick in.

So finally, the crux of this long-winded post: do I keep my beautiful, feisty, slightly mean lavender Orpington or do I take the risk of keeping a nice little Americauna cockerel in the hopes that he will grow up to be a little bit quieter and nicer than my current rooster? I do have a good grasp of the pros and cons, but was mainly just wanting to get some opinions to help me make my choice. Thanks for reading and offering any opinions!

Attachments

• IMG_20190725_191801.jpg
    IMG_20190725_191801.jpg
    991.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20190725_191807.jpg
    IMG_20190725_191807.jpg
    939 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Id wait until you see how the Ameraucanas act. With my Ameraucana roosters they have all been aggressive but its not always a breed thing since I can see that in my orpingtons.

I have sweet Silver Laced Orpington roos that I dont need. Not a single aggressive bone in their body.

But with me personally, him being lavender wouldn't sway me in any direction. Lavender Orps are so common. Any aggressiveness would be a sold rooster to me.

I think a rooster pick is important, cause he covers all your hens and it is the easiest way of influencing your flock in the future...that being said, of all of the plans I have made on breeding chickens, dang few of them come out. Seems about the time a plan is coming together, a coon, or a freak accident or something just kind of twists things around.

I think she told you he was valuable because she wanted you to keep his sorry ass. That constant crowing is a sign of aggression too. If this is an urban flock, don't antagonize your neighbors and risk the whole hobby for yourself to keep a rooster that you really don't like. You are not afraid of him, I believe you. But I don't think you like him either.

Let him go, he is not worth that much. Maybe you will get a darling in the new group, maybe you won't, roosters are a crap shoot. If not, someone else will have roosters around.

Mrs K

I think a rooster pick is important, cause he covers all your hens and it is the easiest way of influencing your flock in the future...that being said, of all of the plans I have made on breeding chickens, dang few of them come out. Seems about the time a plan is coming together, a coon, or a freak accident or something just kind of twists things around.

I think she told you he was valuable because she wanted you to keep his sorry ass. That constant crowing is a sign of aggression too. If this is an urban flock, don't antagonize your neighbors and risk the whole hobby for yourself to keep a rooster that you really don't like. You are not afraid of him, I believe you. But I don't think you like him either.

Let him go, he is not worth that much. Maybe you will get a darling in the new group, maybe you won't, roosters are a crap shoot. If not, someone else will have roosters around.

Mrs K

Thanks Mrs. K, this is sort of my gut feeling for sure. It's not that difficult to get new roosters, and from experience I know that the majority err on the side of bring jerks. Because roosters aren't crucial to me in terms of breeding to standards or replenishing my flock, I am very flexible in rooster choice and mainly would like to have one that, even if not friendly, is tolerable. I also know how hard it is to find a rooster that isn't striving to be a crowing champion. My neighbors have been very good about allowing me to have roosters (our town ordinance is purely based on noise complaints), and it would really be a bummer to lose my ability to have a rooster all because this one guy is being so loud. I'm continuing to mull it over, but the idea of giving a new rooster a try is very appealing.

IMO, no rooster is pretty enough to overcome bad behavior! I'd remove this guy, and see how your cockerels develop. If none of them make the grade, there's always time for more straight run chicks in the spring, or maybe even this fall.
No wonder the seller wanted him gone! Somebody will be happy to have chicken stock or stew...
Mary

Buttholes breed buttholes, dont keep the mean guy. Give the Ameracurana a chance if he is your only other option. You could always keep a lookout for local roos too. Sometimes people get rid of very nice roosters just because they cant have him where they live or because they have too many

Last edited:
You will also have time to see how those new pullets perform, which will help decide if their sibling will produce the sort of hens you want to have. If they are poor producers, he won't improve your flock.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom