Roosters fighting

mikic

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 30, 2018
We started our flock 12 years ago, with 27 one day old chicks (McMurray), turned out 7 were roosters. They are all gone now, except one hen (yes, we have a 12-year old hen still in great health). We have replaced hens over the years and currently have 22. We adopted a bantam rooster (from a defunct farm) and another Americana rooster (now 3 years old) that had been hand-raised by a young girl who snuck a farmer's market egg into her room and hatched it. We call him "BB" (short for Big Boy) due to his size. We love him, he is smart, non-aggressive, and very protective of the girls, and BIG. We haven't had one hawk attack since we've added him to the flock.

Last Spring we allowed a hen to sit on eggs (first time for us). Only one hatched, and, of course, it was a rooster. By the time he was 6 months old, he was double daddy's size. "GG" (Gentle Giant) was also very calm, non-aggressive, and our only concern was his size and his immature youth, that he might harm the hens mounting them, as he is relentless in this regard. But the real problem came when his dad, BB, developed severe bumblefoot over the holidays (my posts began 1/2/20 on this topic). Two months later he is mostly recovered, although a little unsteady and we still keep bandages on his scabbed feet, but we have reintroduced him to his flock. In the 2-months of his absence, GG decided it was his flock has attacked his dad every time we try to bring him back.

My bright idea was to separate and cage GG for a couple of weeks and try to calm him down, allowing BB to acclimate back. When we decided to try a reunion yesterday, we even bandaged his feet to try to level the playing field. It didn't seem to slow him down at all and he immediately tried to kill our small bantam rooster, who got in the way of his assault on dad.
We are wondering if there are any tricks that we can try, any herbs we can add to his water, etc. to try to reset his attitude. We appreciate any ideas. Please note that we do not kill or eat our chickens, they are all named pets/family.

I would venture to say that it will likely not resolve. If it were me, and I were set on keeping both, then I would divide flocks.
thanks for your reply. Yes, we have considered dividing the flock, but that means building a new predator-proof coop and run, which would take several weeks, and then still risking issues when we allow them to free range.

Pick one to be with hens. Choose second as backup and keep him alone in his one pen. Get rid of or eat third. When resources tight, cull. Make so those you do keep are kept well.
well, BB and the bantam have been with the flock for 3 years without more than the normal pecking order scuffles. And GG was born and raised within the flock and didn't become a problem until his dad took a medical leave for a couple of months. As I said, we don't eat our birds, they are all pets. All our flock is well kept, no "tight resources" here.
GG is in a fenced-off section of their >300 sq.ft. run. I read that fighting roosters are placed in pens next to each other so that they build up tension prior to a fight. So, I've draped sheets around his fenced enclosure so that the roosters can't face off, hoping to lessen the tension. There should be some other methods that can be employed to restore the stability that existed only 2 1/2 months ago.

well, BB and the bantam have been with the flock for 3 years without more than the normal pecking order scuffles. And GG was born and raised within the flock and didn't become a problem until his dad took a medical leave for a couple of months. As I said, we don't eat our birds, they are all pets. All our flock is well kept, no "tight resources" here.
GG is in a fenced-off section of their >300 sq.ft. run. I read that fighting roosters are placed in pens next to each other so that they build up tension prior to a fight. So, I've draped sheets around his fenced enclosure so that the roosters can't face off, hoping to lessen the tension. There should be some other methods that can be employed to restore the stability that existed only 2 1/2 months ago.
You will need to learn more about keeping roosters and work hard to get good information.

Your roosters are no longer 'one flock', and you can't fix their attitudes.
It will be best to rehome one or two of them, if you can't have separate flocks. Birds who don't want to 'play nice' with each other need to be separated to avoid that blood bath.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom