Goldnmine

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 25, 2017
My 3 year old hen started yesterday ruffling her feathers and just kinda sitting there. She just got done molting last month. She has poop on her feathers. Her abdomen feels not hard or extra soft and squishy. She did eat some yogurt but doesn’t seem to want feed. I brought her in and gave her a warm bath and cleaned her backend up. Her comb seems a little pale to me. I just had treated them in July for roundworm (I have 3 hens sexlinks). None of them are laying as they all went through molt. Anyone have any ideas what to try or what it may be?

Adding a edit here..since this mornings post she has since passed what appeared to be a lash egg with a good deal of water liquid and some soft stool. So I’m thinking she has eyp. I have 3 hens and this is the 2nd one to have this in the past 6 months (my other hen was Vet confirmed eyp in July) I treated my other hen with antibiotics but she hasn’t started back to laying yet. Is there something I’m doing or what would be causing 2 out of 3 hens to have eyp?! :(:hit

Last edited:
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry your birds aren't feeling well. :(

Did you actually have round worms when you treated? Did you have a fecal float done to see if there were more worm than just round that wouldn't be treated by the medication you used? How has your weather been? Possible she has cocci... or it's just winter and she's staying warm with not much to do?

Any other symptoms... labored breathing, runny or strawberry jam poo?

What are you feeding including treats and supplements?
:fl

I had one of my hens to see a vet which said she has EYP and they did a fecal float and said round worms and gave me something to treat them (not a lot of chicken Vet’s near me and I wasn’t very impressed with this one). She is just kinda hunched up with her feathers ruffled up. Her stool is normal color just messy on her butt. We have had a warm fall and it just started getting cold, I feed them laying pellets and just started to give them some scratch on cold mornings. My other 2 seem normal.

This is what her poop looks like.

Attachments

• 43A31F32-0AF0-4F73-B95F-B7CB8B31D7AD.jpeg
    43A31F32-0AF0-4F73-B95F-B7CB8B31D7AD.jpeg
    345.5 KB · Views: 72
So sorry for your loss. :(

Although you weren't impressed with the vet, sounds like they made an accurate assessment and was going to be the next thing I was wondering about from your description. EYP is deadly, faster for some than others.

EYP is genetic and there is nothing you can do about it as far as I know. Other than treating with antibiotics when you discover it... which just prolongs it IMO. It is more common (allegedly) in prolific laying breed. But I saw a lash egg from one of my older (4) Marans hens and new the eventual prognosis, so I sent her away for processing before she suffered or became to ill to become part of the circle of life. Though my daughter and I process boys sometimes, we aren't comfortable (for whatever reason) processing our ladies. Sorry, I realize this probably isn't helpful to you.

Only other thing... maybe consider taking out warm oatmeal in the cold morning instead of scratch. Most feed is already made of corn, but it has added vitamins, minerals, and amino acids plus way more protein. Some people go under the notion that scratch or cracked corn helps keep chickens warm. That's simply not true as a calorie is a calorie no matter where it comes from. And the chickens produce their own body heat (yes using calories) as an internal function. They are also wearing down jackets to keep them toasty. But you get more nutrients instead of empty calories that make you healthy instead of just fat. Scratch is OK as a treat of not more than 10% total daily intake. And I don't mean to be criticizing but just sharing info in case you were one that has been told corn keeps your chickens warm since you mention using it on cold morning.

One good thing is I don't think EYP is contagious but if they get a secondary illness from being under the stress, those might be.

Glad your other girls seem well! Again sorry for you loss. :hugs

I'm so sorry about your girl. Unfortunately it isn't uncommon for those hybrid hens to have EYP or egg bining more frequently than other breeds.
Hugs:hugs and wishing you the best of luck with your other girls.

Eggsighted4life thank you for the oatmeal tip. My other hen the Vet said spay her or give her these shots to keep her from laying. The shots were $500 and spaying was silly since I have my girls for eggs. I had reached out on here and someone told me to try tetracycline for fish and I did it and she hasn’t had any problems since BUT she also hasn’t been laying as far as I can tell. So we will see what happens in the spring. The hen now is still in my basement and I have started her on the tetracycline and giving her baths to clean her bottom. She isn’t as ruffled and seems to have her some of her personality back but I wouldn’t say she’s 100% yet. I have talked to my uncle about if he would take her if it’s not looking good as I can’t myself “end” her suffering but he has no attachment. :(

Question...I just have a drop light with a 100w bulb for heat. I was thinking this morning that maybe having light on her 24/7 isn’t good for helping her with the laying issues, anyone have any suggestions for heat with the light without having to go buy a heat bulb?

Question...I just have a drop light with a 100w bulb for heat. I was thinking this morning that maybe having light on her 24/7 isn’t good for helping her with the laying issues, anyone have any suggestions for heat with the light without having to go buy a heat bulb?
Do you have a heating pad? Lots of people use those.

Some people have used warm water bottles wrapped in a towel. Seems like they would have to changed often though.

Yes, I agree that 24 hour lighting would not help her condition and could make it worse. No I would not be able to spend that kind of $ either.

That's awesome that she seems to be getting some personality back! :fl

ETA: How cold is your basement?

Back
Top Bottom