Same Eggs Different Light

Araucana Nest

FreeBird
Aug 14, 2020
North Central Florida
These are four Cream Legbar eggs in sunlight and in shade. The difference brought many opinions of color when I showed them to others. This is what I’m experiencing with people who want to see photos of the eggs they are buying. To my eye the eggs are blue but they photograph sort of green in sunlight and sort of blue in shade. One person said they looked green in both photos. What do you see?
BCC22EC1-6F3A-4D96-BCA4-2B86A48E674B.jpeg
A7FAFCAF-7F2B-4730-A03F-55683E21A62D.jpeg

Ditto on the first pic - green. The second ... uh, off white I guess maybe with a hint of blue?

There has got to be a photo technique to capturing accurate egg colors ...
That's what I'm trying to develop, a technique to accurately show the color but the color is different with the light and I think with the screen as well. :idunno

The light you photograph in plays a HUGE roll in the color of the objects in the photo. This is true especially with light, pastel colors and also neutral colors, like beige and grey. If you photograph something in daylight under a tree, for instance, you will pick up a green cast from the sunlight coming through the leaves.

A trick many photographers do is to take a picture of the subject with an 18% grey card. (That is what it's called. A good photo supply store should have them.) Then take another picture, same setup, without the card.

When you take the images into Photoshop, color correct to make the grey right, and the rest should fall into line.

Back in film-and-darkroom days, we used this all the time. You could compare the print to the 18% grey card and see how close you were.

That's what I'm trying to develop, a technique to accurately show the color but the color is different with the light and I think with the screen as well.
Oh definitely share if you figure something out!! Another thing to consider though - people’s perception of what the color is varies, it seems. Like that whole What color is the dress? thing. And I’ve had eggs that look green to me but asked another person and they say they see blue (not with a pic, but actually looking at the egg).

Is it too much to ask for a definitively blue chicken egg?? 😆

Oh definitely share if you figure something out!! Another thing to consider though - people’s perception of what the color is varies, it seems. Like that whole What color is the dress? thing. And I’ve had eggs that look green to me but asked another person and they say they see blue (not with a pic, but actually looking at the egg).

Is it too much to ask for a definitively blue chicken egg?? 😆
Yes, that too... :) and the question: can there be an objective answer? :)

Back
Top Bottom