Sloth’s Silkies

A sad update! My humidity wasn’t high enough. I have a really hard time keeping it high in this incubator and I thought it was going to be good enough around 55% (then planned to increase it when they pipped). Well today (day 21) rolled around and not a single pip. I suspected shrink wrapping and I opened the first egg and it was shrink wrapped. I carefully opened them all up and freed the beaks on the ones that hadn’t internally pipped yet (except for one that was malpositioned.) Anyways, long (and sad) story short, but after working on them all day, I have 3 chicks that look like they are going to make it. I’m happy I have these 3 babies and now I know that I really need to increase the humidity in this incubator. My old one never seemed to need to be cranked up so high, but this one definitely does.

The lovely chicks are a white silkied EE (blue egg!), a black split to blue cream (was a big surprise to see black lol!) and a chick from a lemon cuckoo egg! So happy and grateful to have these babies and thankful that they have made it through thus far!

Last edited:
I'm so sorry @Slothinc :hugs I'm struggling getting the humidity up on my one incubator and I have a pip in it already 😬
I hope those three make it for you!
Thank you! I really hope they make it too. So far so good! I’ll take pictures tomorrow after they have had sufficient time to rest. Ah! So exciting you have a pip!! I’ll have to hop onto your thread and see how things are going with your hatch!! 🥰

The 3 precious chicks that came out of my hatch. The black I believe is split to blue cream (I will probably start a post asking what that means exactly haha), the yellow came out of a lemon cuckoo pen and is the fluffiest silkie I’ve seen as a baby, and the white is a silkie EE! It has dark skin but 4 toes and no feathered legs. I’m excited to see how they all turn out. So far they have been really quiet and a little slower to walk (did a little therapy on the yellow chicks legs and the white chicks toes (but I don’t think the toes changed) however, I am hopeful that all 3 will survive!!

Attachments

• IMG_7861.jpeg
    IMG_7861.jpeg
    352.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7854.jpeg
    IMG_7854.jpeg
    380.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7828.jpeg
    IMG_7828.jpeg
    390.8 KB · Views: 5
I had one I had to tape the curly toes on one foot straight. I used hubby's wide blue painting tape and stood the chick on the sticky side of one strip, then made sure the toes were straight and put another strip on the top, sticky side down. Then lightly pressed it together and VERY carefully trimmed around the edges. The next day I took it off and the toes were fine! Painting tape isn't as sticky as like Scotch tape, so it stayed on, yet, was easy to get off.

The poor chick was so mad with the tape on, it basically refused to walk 🤦‍♀️ So I took it off after about 18 hours and I didn’t notice much change. So I think it is going to be stuck with a slightly curved toe, sadly. The yellow one wore leg braces for 24 hours and I think it’s going to be completely fine now!

The poor chick was so mad with the tape on, it basically refused to walk 🤦‍♀️ So I took it off after about 18 hours and I didn’t notice much change. So I think it is going to be stuck with a slightly curved toe, sadly. The yellow one wore leg braces for 24 hours and I think it’s going to be completely fine now!
Maybe try the taping again in a day after it gets a little bit stronger. I'd just try one more time and if that doesn't work, I'm sure it'll grow up fine anyway!

The 3 precious chicks that came out of my hatch. The black I believe is split to blue cream (I will probably start a post asking what that means exactly haha), the yellow came out of a lemon cuckoo pen and is the fluffiest silkie I’ve seen as a baby, and the white is a silkie EE! It has dark skin but 4 toes and no feathered legs. I’m excited to see how they all turn out. So far they have been really quiet and a little slower to walk (did a little therapy on the yellow chicks legs and the white chicks toes (but I don’t think the toes changed) however, I am hopeful that all 3 will survive!!
They are so cute! That last one is extremely fluffy!

Back
Top Bottom