Pics
I am so stoked she laid her first egg today, I wasn’t really expecting it as she hadn’t been squatting. But at 20 weeks I guess it isn’t unusual. And it’s a nice pink colour.
She is stunningly beautiful. :love I bet you could enter her in a contest if they have any up there. Around here, some who have bought our silkie chicks say they're hoping to raise some 4H competitors. I don't even know about competitions higher than that around here, but I know they have some in Milwaukee. That's 2.5 hours south of us though. It doesn't matter as I've never had a single urge to enter any of mine in anything. I just like raising them.

Five months old is quite early as by then we know what sex they are, but I don't think I got a first egg from any of them prior to around 8 months old. Pretty cool!!

The naked necks look so much smaller, Debbie. Is it because they don't have as much fluff?
At what point, or how many generations of breeding, before a naked neck is referred to as a showgirl?
Anyway they are an adorable little flock!
No, they are way smaller. They all hatched 3/13 so I guess those two wound up being runts? :confused: I don't know the timing of the "showgirl" term. Maybe I should be calling them that instead of "the NNs" like it's a dirty word. 😊

The other NN I have is a cuckoo and out in the aviary with its 9 "siblings" but it's the same size as they are. It's the one on the waterer about 3 weeks ago. We moved them outside that day.

3-20-24.jpeg

Back then they were moved to our parrot aviary converted to a temp coop.
There's a little tan-colored cuckoo that's a runt in that bunch. She's over on the right. She likes me and is the only one to come running when she sees me. :)

IMG_0743.jpeg

The naked necks look so much smaller, Debbie. Is it because they don't have as much fluff?
At what point, or how many generations of breeding, before a naked neck is referred to as a showgirl?
Anyway they are an adorable little flock!

Janie, you made me do some digging about showgirls. I found this old thread: Difference between Silkie and Showgirl? Kind of funny :lol:

Janie, you made me do some digging about showgirls. I found this old thread: Difference between Silkie and Showgirl? Kind of funny :lol:
OMG you were right, Deb, those replies were cracking me up. I loved "You forgot about the teeth," but the one who said "A Showgirl is even more evil than a silkie. Showgirls put off low levels of Gamma radiation also," takes the cake. :lau

Not a silkie!

But, we gained these last night. The lady then asked me if I had a rooster she could have. 😳

Needless to say, she left with a silkie rooster and hen, and we wound up adopting two parakeets. :D Meet Sugar Syrup and Lemonaid.

View attachment 3802194

So cute! More parrots to the bunch, huh :love ?

Back
Top Bottom