San Diego Chicken meetup and Chat thread

I can't believe I lost another hen.
hit.gif
Another Naked Neck!!
hit.gif
This one was in my daughters pen.
I just don't get it. It was hot yesterday, but wasn't the hottest day in the week. There was a breeze all day...in fact
that pen felt like it had a fan on it. I have a big bottle of ice dripping out on the ground so there was a way to keep cool..
lots of fresh water. I'm so bummed.
I found one of my 5 week old chicks acting kind of dumpy this morning. I moved her, with a friend, to the garage with a fan
going in their direction. Hope that this little one isn't starting to deteriorate or at least that I caught her in time. All the other
chicks in that pen are doing fine.
Allison,

I'm so sorry for your losses. However, I don't think it is "just" the heat. I think perhaps something else is going on. With my Cochins I'm almost paranoid about keeping them cool because of their heavy feathering. I haven't lost one due to heat, humidity or smoke inhalation. Most chickens are very resourceful when it comes to finding a shady or damp spot to get away from this intense heat.

Sometimes certain breeds are more delicate. My suggestion would be to give the ones you are concerned about some liquid Vit B 12 (using an eye dropper) followed by some liquid Vit E. I have several girls who just are not as hardy as others & I find, when they get stressed, they need a little vitamin boost. Remember this is just my opinion but it might be something to consider. Good luck with the others.

Allison,

I'm so sorry for your losses. However, I don't think it is "just" the heat. I think perhaps something else is going on. With my Cochins I'm almost paranoid about keeping them cool because of their heavy feathering. I haven't lost one due to heat,  humidity or smoke inhalation. Most chickens are very resourceful when it comes to finding a shady or damp spot to get away from this intense heat.

Sometimes certain breeds are more delicate. My suggestion would be to give the ones you are concerned about some liquid Vit B 12 (using an eye dropper) followed by some liquid Vit E. I have several girls who just are not as hardy as others & I find,  when they get stressed,  they need a little vitamin boost. Remember this is just my opinion but it might be something to consider. Good luck with the others.
Thanks Lynne, I was under the impression that Naked Necks do well in the heat due to the fact that they have 1/2 the feathers of a typical chicken. Both of the birds that died were heavy bodied so that could be part of it...although, my Brahma is doing okay...panting, but lots of them are. I have so many places for them to seek refuge. They coop itself is ten degrees cooler than the outside. Of course, if I locked 20 birds in there it wouldn't be.

If they had been from the same pen I'd wonder what else could be going on, but one was in my free range flock, the other in Em's bantam pen...so I conclude with you that it may just be more breed related. Thanks for your help. Your advice is always more than welcome!!!

I can't believe I lost another hen.
hit.gif
Another Naked Neck!!
hit.gif
This one was in my daughters pen.
I just don't get it. It was hot yesterday, but wasn't the hottest day in the week. There was a breeze all day...in fact
that pen felt like it had a fan on it. I have a big bottle of ice dripping out on the ground so there was a way to keep cool..
lots of fresh water. I'm so bummed.

I found one of my 5 week old chicks acting kind of dumpy this morning. I moved her, with a friend, to the garage with a fan
going in their direction. Hope that this little one isn't starting to deteriorate or at least that I caught her in time. All the other
chicks in that pen are doing fine.

I wonder if the heat could mess up the digestive processes. You know the Flora and Fauna involved with digesting their food. If the food starts fermenting either in the Craw or Cecum that could cause big problems. I wouldnt know how to test or even correct it... But I know with horses can be a death sentence. Surprisingly their digestive systems are somewhat similar once you get past that whole eating thing.

deb

Anyone want a silkie mutt mix? About 8 weeks I think, not sure on sex. $5, PM me because I sometimes forget to check the boards here.

I was taking pictures of the wheatens today, and got one of your Silkie mix chicks, too... here's one to match yours, although I think this one is going to be all white with the dark skin & legs.

I was taking pictures of the wheatens today, and got one of your Silkie mix chicks, too... here's one to match yours, although I think this one is going to be all white with the dark skin & legs.
The one I have ready now is from the batch right before that one. Do you remember how old the one I gave you is? This one is 3-4 weeks older. The other 2 babies from the same batch are still following mommy around and she doesn't seem uninterested yet.

The wheatens and isbar are four weeks, so the silkie should be five... I think.

Okay, that makes sense. Then the silkie I'm selling is definitely 8 weeks. She/he was from my first broody. You got one from my second broody, hers are 5 weeks and much smaller.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom