Separate the boys? Or the littles?

AmytownUSA

Hatching
Jun 1, 2020
I’m a few months into chicken keeping and really appreciate the advice on this forum.

I’m at a crossroads: I have a backyard flock of 18 — looks like 6 boys and 12 girls. Most of them are a barnyard mix, some much larger than others. Four of the boys crow and two lay low. At least Half the girls are on the small side. The lowest ranked rooster has started fighting my arms and legs when he sees them...

So I’m thinking of splitting the flock. Terrifying, because it would disrupt everything, and everything’s mostly good. My lead rooster, Sheriff Woody, is a strong smart leader who gets along with most of the other males.

but I could make a separate pen for the littler ones, including mr bottom of the pole, or I could try a bachelor flock, or I could just get rid of Hei Hei, who’s really the only troublemaker, which as these names suggest might devastate my kids.

what would you do?

If you have the resources to do so, a bachelor's pen might be your best bet. It is much easier to keep an all female flock but I'm guessing that might upset the kids.

Be sure and supervise the children well around the males. A hormonal cockrel can be a scar a child for life both emotionally and physically.

Good luck with your flock.

With that many roosters very shortly your trouble is going to be magnified. People love their rooster chicks, and really cannot believe how that is going to change in a few weeks. You are in that period now.

BE VERY careful with the kids, it can get ugly very fast, as people without a lot of experience often times don't recognize the warning signs. Roosters tend to attack children first, then women then men if they are inclined that way.

I would pull all the roosters until all the hens are laying and only put one rooster if any in with the girls. They will shortly be VERY HARD on your pullets, wearing them out.

As Aart often says, "roosters are were the romance of keeping chickens meets reality."And to often it is an ugly reality. 6 roosters are going to be that.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom