Serama Hatch-Along Thread!

Eggs 2, 3, and 6 all have the bubble in pic 1. Pic #2 is of egg 7 (thats the shell not the inside) 😬
The egg on the left has a saddle shaped air cell, this happens due to rough shipping. You can still set it and many times chicks develop and hatch normally from air cells like this but just watch this one along the way. Sometimes the chick can have trouble or hatch from the wrong end.
Hey. Can I use oil pastels on eggs? Might just stick with pencils. But for future references lol
Most oil pastels are not toxic, read the label to make sure. But I think they are ok to use.

The egg on the left has a saddle shaped air cell, this happens due to rough shipping. You can still set it and many times chicks develop and hatch normally from air cells like this but just watch this one along the way. Sometimes the chick can have trouble or hatch from the wrong end.

Most oil pastels are not toxic, read the label to make sure. But I think they are ok to use.

I'm having kind of a hard time being able to tell good air cell placement from bad, could you explain it, or is there possibly an article or a chart on this?

I'm having kind of a hard time being able to tell good air cell placement from bad, could you explain it, or is there possibly an article or a chart on this?

Saddle shaped air cell: The blue line shows how the air cell has detached and sunk along the inside of the egg
20240319_191811~2.jpg

Normal air cell: The blue line shows where and how the air cell should look at setting. If you collect eggs from your own flock, you won't get saddle shaped air cells, that is something that happens from hard shipping..
20240319_191811~3.jpg

I let them sit for 36 hours (ish) pointy side down. Hoping that helps. For $40.....I better get 3 (hopefully!)

Saddle shaped air cell: The blue line shows how the air cell has detached and sunk along the inside of the egg
View attachment 3776582

Normal air cell: The blue line shows where and how the air cell should look at setting. If you collect eggs from your own flock, you won't get saddle shaped air cells, that is something that happens from hard shipping..
View attachment 3776583

Thank you, much clearer now! Could the air cell be damaged in any way by leaving the eggs on their sides? I usually leave them for two to three days, to minimise the number of eggs they lay on the ground, as mentioned in my thread. If you remember in my Tsouloufati hatch, I left the eggs on their sides almost all of the days I was egg collecting. Definitely not doing that mistake again, but until I collect, will two days of side-dwelling seriously impact the air cell?

Back
Top Bottom