Serama Hatch-Along Thread!

Thank you, much clearer now! Could the air cell be damaged in any way by leaving the eggs on their sides? I usually leave them for two to three days, to minimise the number of eggs they lay on the ground, as mentioned in my thread. If you remember in my Tsouloufati hatch, I left the eggs on their sides almost all of the days I was egg collecting. Definitely not doing that mistake again, but until I collect, will two days of side-dwelling seriously impact the air cell?
We mostly all store them pointy side down until they are set, but a couple of days in between of being on their sides I doubt makes a difference, especially since they already were laying on their sides in the nest.

Thank you, much clearer now! Could the air cell be damaged in any way by leaving the eggs on their sides? I usually leave them for two to three days, to minimise the number of eggs they lay on the ground, as mentioned in my thread. If you remember in my Tsouloufati hatch, I left the eggs on their sides almost all of the days I was egg collecting. Definitely not doing that mistake again, but until I collect, will two days of side-dwelling seriously impact the air cell?
As @Debbie292d said above, a few days on their sides isn't a huge deal, but it's always best to collect eggs as soon as possible so the air cell stays at the top. As long as you store the eggs upright for at least 12-24 hours before setting, eggs that layed around a couple of days shouldn't be issue.

We mostly all store them pointy side down until they are set, but a couple of days in between of being on their sides I doubt makes a difference, especially since they already were laying on their sides in the nest.
As @Debbie292d said above, a few days on their sides isn't a huge deal, but it's always best to collect eggs as soon as possible so the air cell stays at the top. As long as you store the eggs upright for at least 12-24 hours before setting, eggs that layed around a couple of days shouldn't be issue.

Great! I won't be leaving them too long, just a few days in the nest to encourage the pullets to continue laying in the nest, and not on the ground. Then I'll be placing them pointy side down for the rest of the collection period. Basically, the oldest eggs will be set pointy side down for 8-7 days, while the newest 24+ hours before I place them in the incubator

I agree. Pride, within reason, is healthy and beneficial
It only becomes a deadly sin when pride gets out of hand. In the anime, Escanor is the "Deadly Sin of Pride" and omg he is arrogant as all get out
nanatsu no taizai lol GIF by mannyjammy

Back
Top Bottom