Set 36 eggs tonight! Hatch-Along

I have 5 stragglers. If no pips tonight I will candle and see what's up. I've read to give them at lease a couple if more days. I am lucky that I'm going to be able to re home my extra babies to my mother in law here locally so I will have visitation. Lol. My house has been pretty dry too. My central furnace went out so I've been heating with space heaters and one if those infrared heaters. Not too bad as I am in East Texas so it's not very cold. I think the coldest night this year was 25.

Nice to have visiting rights!! You'll be able to watch them grow up.

I'll candle to night and see if the air cells are better if any have interanlly pipped. Pete55 helps any of his parrots that internally pip and actually he candles a lot during lockdown. Makes me feel less guilty to know I"m not the only one peeking. lol

THis is the hardest time, the waiting for them to hatch. THe first 19 days are easy!

Oh I so agree with you there. I have one more Maran hatching. It looks like I am goIng to end up with 25 babies. 20 of the reds and only 5 out of 12 of Marans. So disappointed in that. I paid $30.00 for the Marans 6 black and 6 white. Got 4 black babies and only 2 white most were infertile but have two in the gator that upon candle tonight appear to have died. I only paid $3.50 for 30 of the red crosses. I have 5 black Marans coming in at the ag store that will be less expensive than my hatched babies. Lol (but not as much fun or exciting. The mother in law was really wanting some of the Marans so I ordered some for her. Keep me posted.

THe air cells were not large enough-- I waited to add water.

By MOnday night cells looked better, so I added the water. At 50%RH and 99-100 on the thermometer.

First external pip Tuesday morning, then another that evening. At 21 days, that's all--two pips. GOodness I was running the temps at a hot temp. GUess not. 101-102 on top of the eggs laid onthe side. ANd 99-101 on floor. WIth air. I kept good records so I will see what to do about temps.

TWO chickies out this morning and 3 more ext pip. I marked the one with pip at wrong end --may need assistance.

I"m starting to think marans are a challenge to hatch. I am collecting FBCM for the Easter Hatch a thon--toying with altering the shell, maybe sanding down to the white. DId you try sanding?

Back
Top Bottom