Sewing machine is squeaking...

Ninjasquirrel

Free Ranging
6 Years
May 11, 2018
Northwest Indiana
I have an old 1980ish Kenmore. Its always had a deep whirl while it has run. But today it started making a new sound. I was quilting like normal. I hadnt changed any settings or fabric. It began to squeak like a mouse and the top thread snapped. I went around and oiled the machine at every joint...its still squeaking. Has anyone else encountered this? What do you think it could be? Im worried its a broken spring somewhere but i cant find it.

Heres some pics of the inside to help:
20190221_091007.jpg
20190221_091032.jpg

Have you checked to see that the tension isn't so tight it's preventing the thread from sliding through the mechanism? There are 2 tension regulators. There's the conventional easily adjusted knob (with corresponding mechanics) for your spooled thread and there's a second one for the bobbin thread. The bobbin one varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

That's the first thing I'd check for thread snapping but I'm not sure tension that's too tight would cause noise. That's probably parts rubbing. My guess is you need it serviced.

Have you checked to see that the tension isn't so tight it's preventing the thread from sliding through the mechanism? There are 2 tension regulators. There's the conventional easily adjusted knob (with corresponding mechanics) for your spooled thread and there's a second one for the bobbin thread. The bobbin one varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

That's the first thing I'd check for thread snapping but I'm not sure tension that's too tight would cause noise. That's probably parts rubbing. My guess is you need it serviced.
The tension is on the lowest setting. My bobbin tensioner you need to adjust with a screw driver. Ive checked and adjusted both. Ive fixed the snapping of the thread but the squeak is still there.

Im gonna have my man look at it when he gets home. Ive tried everything. It seems the squeaking is in direct correlation with the needle going up and down. Ive cleaned and oiled everything. Even found out i had a free loader:
20190221_133013.jpg

Thats a stink bug. He was definately alive and happy in there. Im blaming him if my machine is squeaky forever

Update! Its not squeaking now! After about an hour pouting I realized I would have to inspect the underside of my machine. No easy task since its mounted in a sewing cabinet. It was easy getting it out but getting it back in was a nightmare. I oiled everything the manual said under the machine. Low and behold...no squeaking. Its odd because it sounded like it was coming from the light casement. I cant wait to tell my guy when he gets home that I actually fixed something!

I have a Janome JW8100 and bought a walking foot for it several years ago. It has always squeaked. I'm not sure why and didn't want to attempt to oil it as I worry about ruining my fabric. I'd be interested to hear what you find out from your dealer. I plan to take my walking foot in and ask the local dealer about it when I take the machine in for it's regular cleaning. Also, my walking foot doesn't sit straight on the throat plate therefore making the 1/2", 1/4" and 1/8" marks incorrect and different on each side of the foot. I've just been eyeballing the sewing lines. I do like the walking foot. It does a much better job of feeding the fabric than the regular foot. I don't have dual feed on my Bernina. It's too old!

Back
Top Bottom