Shadrach's Ex Battery and Rescued chickens thread.

I think it's going to work with Chirk :p He got chased twice (as far as I know) during the day, but the other roos' aim seems to be (as their predecessors' have been) just to drive him away, not to pursue and hurt him if he runs away. So when most of the flock had returned to their coops to roost, I found him foraging in the paddock, and he gladly ate the pocketful of mealworms I had with me, and he was still there when I returned with a bowl of food for him. And shortly after finishing that he made his way back to the trampoline, and went to bed in his bin. Hopefully his recovery will continue; he certainly gets more exercise and better forage this way.
Oh this is good news! I'm so pleased for him.

I think it's going to work with Chirk :p He got chased twice (as far as I know) during the day, but the other roos' aim seems to be (as their predecessors' have been) just to drive him away, not to pursue and hurt him if he runs away. So when most of the flock had returned to their coops to roost, I found him foraging in the paddock, and he gladly ate the pocketful of mealworms I had with me, and he was still there when I returned with a bowl of food for him. And shortly after finishing that he made his way back to the trampoline, and went to bed in his bin. Hopefully his recovery will continue; he certainly gets more exercise and better forage this way.
How wonderful.
I am sure being free to decide to go into the paddock will help him feel better.

Awww, he's a blue Stilton :love Stilton is our Easter Egger rooster (and the reason I have a big soft spot for EE roosters).

Zeus' coloring is awesome. He'll grow into a gorgeous rooster.

I just had to dig up some Stilty baby pics, which will also serve as tax. Here he is at 7 weeks, dustbathing with his BFF Ashley.
Stilton7wks.jpg

StiltyAshley7wks.jpg

At 20 weeks, the height of the awkward/silly-looking phase. He was all legs.
EasterEggerFlock-20weeks.jpg

Stilton20weeks.jpg

Then 6 mos:
Stilton6mos.jpg

And 3 years. My scruffy, scrappy, handsome buddy.
StiltonDonna-midsize copy.jpg

StiltonLapRooster.jpg

I'm so pleased to hear that! I have such a soft spot for injured roosters after rehabbing my William and witnessing him be excluded from the flock. He is slowly rejoining now, too. I spotted him sharing the yard with Johnny again instead of crying in the driveway all day. He doesn't even try to come in our house anymore because he has amassed a few steady companions.
I think now that the latest batch of chicks are adolescents and our batch of pullets are fully mature, the roosters don't feel the need to fight over the affections of our ladies as much. We have two more pullets and another batch of chicks on the way, so hopefully things can go back to the way they were with the boys working alongside each other in harmony to keep their women happy.

Three hours today. Two this morning and one this afternoon. I went home (can't go anywhere else with the bug) had something to eat, lay down for a nap and crashed.

Carbon attacked one of the chicks this evening. She pulled a beakfull of feathers out. Fret went for Carbon. Henry and I sighed.
Fret ried to get the chicks onto the roost bar again. She might have done it except she tried next to Carbon rather than on the otherside next to Henry. Needless to write Carbon bullied them off.:rolleyes:

Henry and I are considering taking a bit of a holiday away from the chicks and the females. The plan is we get something to eat for a change and a couple of nights of decent sleep. Maybe we could spend a day or two sampling the berries and treats we end up giving to the rest.

Try to change from dry to mash with the chicks. The suspected male ate some but his sister didn't trust it.
P9212333.JPG
P9212336.JPG
P9212335.JPG
P9212337.JPG

I hope both chicks inherit Henry's mellow but independant disposition. He let me clean his beak and ears while he stood next to my chair today.:love
P9212339.JPG

Back
Top Bottom