If they are all females you don't have to spay them but if you don't I would recommend you breed them at least once, or spay them. We had a female neatherland dwarf that was bred at least once (by the previous owner) but we never spayed her. We tried to get her spayed but things kept stopping us so we decided not to and she lived a good 10 yrs. If you have any males you will most likely have to fix them. I've heard a few people have success with keeping non-fixed males but most people have very bad time with that.

The rabbits diet should be at least ~70% hay.
Thank you for this!! So so helpful.

Tips:

If you want them to live together without injuries or reproducing, they should all be neutered/spayed.

If you get bunnies that are all supposed to be the same gender, and you want to let them grow up a bit before neutering, check genders regularly (maybe every month or so) in case whoever sexed them the first time made a mistake. Hopefully you can catch it before they are old enough to produce an unexpected litter. (If you do find an unexpected litter: be ready for another one a month later. The buck probably rebred the doe as soon as she finished giving birth, before you even saw the first litter.)

Water is very important, both in hot weather and in below-freezing weather. In winter, water bottles (the kind with a little spout and a ball) are a very bad choice, because the ball freezes so fast. No matter how much water is inside the bottle, it does the rabbits no good when they cannot get it.

Rabbits sometimes dump their water dishes, or sit in them. LARGE dishes make this less of a problem-- my favorite dishes held over one quart of water, which made them difficult to dump, and unpleasant to sit in. It also meant they took a longer time to freeze than small dishes, so the rabbits had water available longer. Heated dishes would also help in winter, but be careful that the rabbits cannot chew on the cords.
Ahh thank you SO! Really appreciate your time and knowledge. Bunny’s are lucky to have you!

I do agree with you, It is just Unfortunately impossible for me to build my own right now! I found a really spacious one, with good reviews tho. So I am hoping it will work till I am in a position where I can build my own. Great tip tho. Thank you so much!
No prefab is spacious or tough enough. Why buy rabbits if you can’t give them the environment they need to be happy and healthy?

I do agree with you, It is just Unfortunately impossible for me to build my own right now! I found a really spacious one, with good reviews tho. So I am hoping it will work till I am in a position where I can build my own. Great tip tho. Thank you so much!
Could you please link the hutch?

Though some can be modified to suit a rabbits needs, pretty much all prefabs are going to be too small and unsafe.

You may be able to find something that would work better on craigslist or Facebook market place. Something like an old garden shed, or larger chicken coop could possibly work.

Wow, SO helpful!! Thank you so so much. I can tell you are super knowledgeable and know your stuff! I do have one question for you: can they all 3 share a food and water bowl? Or do they need there own? So instead of doing 1/4 cup of pellets, I would do 3/4, and would they all share and eat the same amount? Thank you so so much!
I would personally provide separate food dishes, but they can share the water dish.

No prefab is spacious or tough enough. Why buy rabbits if you can’t give them the environment they need to be happy and healthy?
Wow, I don’t think that is very fair. You don’t know my situation, the prefab I am getting or anything. I failed to mention the fact that I most absolutely will be Adding on to the prefab and expanding and improving, I am just not able to build up from the ground. I make sure ALL my animals are healthy and very happy, and if they aren’t, then I most certainly fix the situation. None of my animals are crowded or unhappy or unhealthy. And these rabbits will be no different. They most certainly will get the environment they need to be healthy and happy. But I do really appreciate the help and concern. 🙂

Wow, I don’t think that is very fair. You don’t know my situation, the prefab I am getting or anything. I failed to mention the fact that I most absolutely will be Adding on to the prefab and expanding and improving, I am just not able to build up from the ground. I make sure ALL my animals are healthy and very happy, and if they aren’t, then I most certainly fix the situation. None of my animals are crowded or unhappy or unhealthy. And these rabbits will be no different. They most certainly will get the environment they need to be healthy and happy. But I do really appreciate the help and concern. 🙂
I understand better now. Sorry for being rude.

I understand better now. Sorry for being rude.
No, your fine! You just want the animals to have the best life possible, and you make sure that that is what the owners are giving them. That makes you a wonderful animal person in my eyes. I am sorry I got so snappy. I guess I got a little defensive…😬 my sincerest apologies! I feel so bad. 🤦🏻‍♀️

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom