She said/He said Who's right? Who's wrong? No one!

How long has it been since they pipped? Ducks are very, very slow hatchers sometimes so just be sure before you help that everything is absorbed. You could start to help them out if you are concermed they are stuck but stop at the first sign of blood. If you get them out and it turns out the yolk hasn't been fully absorbed, you'll need to do something like this:

Put the baby back in its shell and wrap the shell with moist paper towels. Cut the corner out of a ziploc bag and put the duckling in its shell in the bag and pull its head through the corner you cut off. Then seal the bag. This keeps everything very moist and makes it so the duckling can't pull away from the yolk and out of the shell before it is absorbed. There's also another method like this that you can do using a cup but I've never tried that. Hopefully this won't be necessary but it's good to know just in case.

About 24 hours I think. I am able to see in the egg and can see that the membrane is tight around it but could carefully peel it back with tweezers if i needed. What do you think?

Help again! One of my chicks appears to be very shrink wrapped but his beak is sticking out of the pip hole he has gotten less and less responsive so i went in a broke some of the shell away and tried to slowly peel the membrane bacl. There was a little blood so I stopped. Is he still aborbing this? Should i wait to help any further?

Help again! One of my chicks appears to be very shrink wrapped but his beak is sticking out of the pip hole he has gotten less and less responsive so i went in a broke some of the shell away and tried to slowly peel the membrane bacl. There was a little blood so I stopped. Is he still aborbing this? Should i wait to help any further?

It looks like it is probably still sbsorbing. For now I get a cotton tip and rub vegetable oil into the exposed membrane and leave it in the incubator. You do need to try and get that exposed bit moist enough that it can move inside it. You could also try feeding it a few drops of water with a toothpick or something.

Last edited:
It looks like it is probably still sbsorbing. For now I get a cotton tip and rub vegetable oil into the exposed membrane and leave it in the incubator. You do need to try and get that exposed bit moist enough that it can move inside it. You could also try feeding it a few drops of water with a toothpick or something.

Ah okay thank you so much! :) I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help!

Can you gentley peel on the other side a little to help him. Not pull it an blood side. Try to only peel if you can the outer shell where it's not bleeding. You can try to put a little corn starch or oil where the blood is or warm water but not to much to drown the bird. Try little bits of outer shell.bleed again put him back in incubator to warm up.

Guys I can't get live ducks. 3 dead yolk. How do I fix the dog house and older ducks. I sprayed the coop down washed everything out there applied bug spray around where I could away from my eggs ditmacious earth. These ants drive me crazy. How can I help them.

Guys I can't get live ducks. 3 dead yolk. How do I fix the dog house and older ducks. I sprayed the coop down washed everything out there applied bug spray around where I could away from my eggs ditmacious earth. These ants drive me crazy. How can I help them.

Have a pond? Build them a floating nest platform.

Back
Top Bottom