She's mad because I wouldn't fence her yard too...

I'm in Manatee County too.

We bought our 1st chickens when we thought it would be o.k. where we live. Someone has a horse and a year ago I heard a rooster a block or so away. However, I've since found out you have to be zoned Agricultural to have chickens any where in our county. We are R-1 (residential - 1 unit), even though we live in a non-deed restricted neighborhood with 1 acre or more sized lots.

I have talked to the 2 neighbors that can see my yard and let them know we wouldn't have any roosters, only hens. They were fine with it. However, I'm worried about other neighbors that might learn about them and turn us in just to be mean. I can understand how upsetting this must be for you to possibly have this threat from your neighbor. I think you should remember though that many people don't realize the zoning laws, so hopefully she doesn't. We had problems with a neighbor when we lived in a neighborhood that frowned upon boats in the driveway. If we parked it there on Saturday night to use Sunday morning, we could count on a letter threatening to fine us $250 per day if we did it again.

There was an article in Sunday's Sarasota Herald Tribune by a New College professor that was commenting on Sarasota's "no chickens" law. He stated how crazy it is that people can have deadly snakes and as many unruley dogs as they like, but that they have a "no chickens" law. I'll see if I can find it and post it. I agree with him. Our neighbor across the street has a pit bull that he lets run loose and that I have never seen on a leash. It came into our yard and barked at my 16 year old in a way that made him afraid to walk out to the road to go get his little brother. I did call animal control that time. We shouldn't have to worry about our children's safety in their own yard. Animal control just told them not to do that anymore and left. Nothing changed. I don't feel like I can send my 7 year old out to get the paper anymore, just in case. Funny how they can do that, but if they found out I had chickens in a tractor in our back yard, I would have 14 days to get rid of them or be fined $100 per day.

Maybe the professor from New College would like to get further involved to change some of the laws in our area. PM me if you like. Maybe we can help each other out.

Here is a link to "Citizens Guide to County Codes" for Manatee County, FL. http://www.mymanatee.org/ If it doesn't link correctly, it is under services, neighborhood services, code enforcement, citizens guide.

Under Common Violations it says, "Agricultural Animals in Residential Areas - Agricultural animals are not permitted unless on agricultural property. (Examples of agricultural animals are pigs, potbellied pigs, chickens, goats, cows, etc.) ."

I think this should be changed, but I don't know how to do anything without losing my current flock. Any ideas?

Last edited:
Quote:
It may be more specific that single family residential--my city has bunches of single family residential districts--the zoning differs in things like setbacks and permitted uses. Make sure you know the exact designation.

The county code there is pretty specific so it would depend on your exact zoning. Just because you have a "residence" doesn't necessarily mean that you are zoned that way. It might still be ag or some variant thereof. I am down to five acres but am still zoned ag so I can do whatever I want even though there is a subdivision with 10K acre lots right up against my back fence. We have a zoning category here called "A-2" which allows a residence but is still ag. We also still allow "farm animals" on all unincorporated properties depending on size.

There should be maps at the county you can look at which will specify the zoning for every parcel in the county. You can look it up and usually buy a copy. It will also show you everyone else's zoning around you.

Attorney and former township and county planning commissioner.

As an FYI, the whole pay for your half of the fence thing is generally accepted practice and in some places is law that if a property owner fences their property (when required to fence ON the property line) and the neighbor attaches their fence to the existing fence...the neighbor is required to reimburse HALF the cost of the fencing on the shared property line to the property owner who had originally installed it. This is so people who 'bite the bullet' on the expense of fencing their property are not taken advantage of by cheap neighbors! (causing a stalemate where no one will fence their yards). I live next to a family like that! She freaked out when I told them I was planting privacy hedges along all my property lines...3 feet wide by 12 feet tall and she was like "but why would you want to do that? how would we see into your yard then?!" I responded with "THAT is why I'm doing it!!!"

On the note of fences, as long as you got permits if needed and installed it with the appropriate setback you should not have to ask your neighbor nor are they required to pay half however. The setbacks for fences, when only one neighbor is getting it are usually 6in inside the owners lot. But if they attach to your fence that changes everything. Also it varies state to state.

Last edited:
I used to live in Bradenton.
woot.gif
...Sorry your neighbors being a grump!
smack.gif

Thank you everyone for your replys. I took the advice of kindness first and brought her some home made jam. I think it worked- if not helped the situation. It gave her a venue to vent~

I'm still looking into my zoning and appreciate that advice there.

Dear Amy- Thank you especially for your insight. It's nice to know I have a fellow BYC friend close to home. I looked into the article you referenced and I would love to rally for our 'legalizing chicken' law but like you worry about calling attention to my little brood. Let me know if you have any thoughts and I hope we cross paths.

Back
Top Bottom