Sep 5, 2021
Looking for advice on what to do. Today I got my shipped hatching eggs after 7 days of transit. Some arrived smashed and the box smelled really bad of course. I cleaned up the ones that weren’t cracked but I’m worried the eggs that survived the trip could have been contaminated by bacteria of the eggs that were smooshed. Should I toss them? Ok to incubate? Or could I be putting the other eggs at risk? Seller is sending me another dozen next week which is very nice of them. Also when I get the replacements next week can I just pop them in with eggs that we’re received today? Or would I need to incubate separately since hatch dates would be staggered? Incubating separately isn’t possible as I don’t have another incubator or broody hen and if I did I would keep separate just incase. If someone with experience can give me some advice that would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Attachments

• 77BCED95-80D9-45C0-B566-5AEAC6373A05.jpeg
    77BCED95-80D9-45C0-B566-5AEAC6373A05.jpeg
    463 KB · Views: 32
If you have an empty spray bottle, pour hydrogen peroxide in it and spray the egg you want to save. Place eggs on a cooking rack and spray it down, let it run on the egg don't wipe it. Let it air dry. Remember to keep your hands clean while handling eggs. Once the eggs are dry place them pointy side down and let it rest for 6 to 8 hours. Then incubate, don't turn the eggs for 2 days. Use this as a reference.

I personally would not do a staggered hatch if you only have 1 incubator. Biggest reason is when lockdown starts, you end up putting to much humidity on the later eggs and damaging the growth of the embryos.

You can store this batch of eggs in a cool cabinet and when the other egg come in, incubate them all at the same time. Just make sure you mark the older eggs vs the newer to keep track of which is which. Hope this helps.

If you have an empty spray bottle, pour hydrogen peroxide in it and spray the egg you want to save. Place eggs on a cooking rack and spray it down, let it run on the egg don't wipe it. Let it air dry. Remember to keep your hands clean while handling eggs. Once the eggs are dry place them pointy side down and let it rest for 6 to 8 hours. Then incubate, don't turn the eggs for 2 days. Use this as a reference.

I personally would not do a staggered hatch if you only have 1 incubator. Biggest reason is when lockdown starts, you end up putting to much humidity on the later eggs and damaging the growth of the embryos.

You can store this batch of eggs in a cool cabinet and when the other egg come in, incubate them all at the same time. Just make sure you mark the older eggs vs the newer to keep track of which is which. Hope this helps.
Dang I already wiped them clean and I did dip them in hydrogen peroxide (they smelled really bad due to the mess). I was worried about the humidity difference during lockdown as well. Thanks so much for your response I will hold off for the other eggs to incubate. Hopefully they arrive intact. It will be another week though as they’re holding off mailing until Monday so they don’t sit over the weekend in transit. Thanks again!

Looking for advice on what to do. Today I got my shipped hatching eggs after 7 days of transit. Some arrived smashed and the box smelled really bad of course. I cleaned up the ones that weren’t cracked but I’m worried the eggs that survived the trip could have been contaminated by bacteria of the eggs that were smooshed. Should I toss them? Ok to incubate? Or could I be putting the other eggs at risk? Seller is sending me another dozen next week which is very nice of them. Also when I get the replacements next week can I just pop them in with eggs that we’re received today? Or would I need to incubate separately since hatch dates would be staggered? Incubating separately isn’t possible as I don’t have another incubator or broody hen and if I did I would keep separate just incase. If someone with experience can give me some advice that would be greatly appreciated 🙂
Just wondering how you made out with the eggs - is there any update?

Just wondering how you made out with the eggs - is there any update?
None of them were good, I tossed them at day 14 and threw out a couple that were rotting before that. The second batch he sent we’re delayed in the mail for 12 days 😱 so when my post office called for pick up I asked them how they box looked, the worker said the box smelled and had looked like it was leaking so I asked them to return to sender 🙃. Still battling usps for the first claim they denied 2 times. I wasn’t giving up, I wanted to hatch something lol so I got some Serama hatching eggs from within my state (WA) I hatched 9 little chickie seramas. Between all this I had won a raffle for seramas that were out of Florida. The seller packaged them beautifully, the box arrived in great shape and properly labeled (not like the first 2 batches from NJ seller) but they were still too scrambled from shipping. I had one out of 12 that made it to lockdown but never hatched. So I have learned, if I’m going to get hatching eggs shipped, closer is better like within state or a couple- not across the country. Lesson learned!

None of them were good, I tossed them at day 14 and threw out a couple that were rotting before that. The second batch he sent we’re delayed in the mail for 12 days 😱 so when my post office called for pick up I asked them how they box looked, the worker said the box smelled and had looked like it was leaking so I asked them to return to sender 🙃. Still battling usps for the first claim they denied 2 times. I wasn’t giving up, I wanted to hatch something lol so I got some Serama hatching eggs from within my state (WA) I hatched 9 little chickie seramas. Between all this I had won a raffle for seramas that were out of Florida. The seller packaged them beautifully, the box arrived in great shape and properly labeled (not like the first 2 batches from NJ seller) but they were still too scrambled from shipping. I had one out of 12 that made it to lockdown but never hatched. So I have learned, if I’m going to get hatching eggs shipped, closer is better like within state or a couple- not across the country. Lesson learned!
Glad u had some success such as it is. Sounds like a lot of stress for you. Yes I agree better closer to you. Post some pics of you have any 😊

Glad u had some success such as it is. Sounds like a lot of stress for you. Yes I agree better closer to you. Post some pics of you have any 😊
Thank you, it was definitely a learning experience. I would love to share some pics 😆 my serama babies hatched October 29th. The first one hatched at about 8 am and the last hatched about 10 pm.

Attachments

• 144668AE-E199-4804-9CDC-FC61B5C86E79.jpeg
    144668AE-E199-4804-9CDC-FC61B5C86E79.jpeg
    502.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 9CC9E422-3EA9-4EDD-9277-D12DB9F3789D.jpeg
    9CC9E422-3EA9-4EDD-9277-D12DB9F3789D.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 784E000D-9D2D-4D66-9C1C-63DE0B8F5536.jpeg
    784E000D-9D2D-4D66-9C1C-63DE0B8F5536.jpeg
    651 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom