Should I be worried?

She's a satin silkie. Probably hatchery quality as the fancier ones have pom poms on their heads, or vaulted even, not crests. I've got both kinds here. Those kind are still very beautiful.

For reference in the future, here's a great BYC article about egg quality: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/
I've just read this article now, thank you for sharing. I noticed it mentions molting perhaps being a cause of this....which would I guess be the least stressful cause? She is in fact molting, so other than adding some vitamins to her water for the next little while, I'm guessing it safe to just keep an eye on her? She is still her usual friendly, loud, bossy, sticky beak self 🥰

Thank you!! I'm so glad someone understood what I was trying to explain, that is exactly what is was, a soft, but strong partly formed shell!

She has laid 2 perfect eggs since, but now this morning, another egg exactly the same as the one mentioned...so it isn't a once off...

If this is a calcium issue, what more can I do to be sure she getting enough than just being sure she always has access to grit? Should I increase the scramble egg & crushed shell from twice weekly to every second day? Is there anything I can give her directly to boost calcium?

& if it isn't a calcium issue....what could it be? The example above about water belly scares me 😞
You can add crumbled calcium tablet for humans in tasty soft food (like boiled rice or cat food) and give it to the hen in question. I remember reading such advice but I’m not sure about the dosage. You need to give this every day for some time. Maybe a few weeks?

@Eggcessive ?

You can add crumbled calcium tablet for humans in tasty soft food (like boiled rice or cat food) and give it to the hen in question. I remember reading such advice but I’m not sure about the dosage. Do this every day for some time. Maybe a few weeks?

@Eggcessive ?
Thank you, I did see calcium tablets recommended, but wasn't sure if there were any specifically for chickens. I'd be keen for dosing info etc though & definitely give it a try x

Sometimes you can rule out a calcium deficiency versus salpingitis or shell gland problems. I would give a human calcium citrate 300mg tablet with vitamin D3 orally right into her beak to swallow for the next 7 days.

Sometimes you can rule out a calcium deficiency versus salpingitis or shell gland problems. I would give a human calcium citrate 300mg tablet with vitamin D3 orally right into her beak to swallow for the next 7 days.

I have the tablets pictured on hand, could I do a half tablet & that be ok?

Also...if I just put it in her beak & hold closed for a minute will that work?

Attachments

• 17149732236572907196006415510587.jpg
    17149732236572907196006415510587.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 0
I have the tablets pictured on hand, could I do a half tablet & that be ok?

Also...if I just put it in her beak & hold closed for a minute will that work?
Should be fine.

When you put it in her mouth, just use a finger to push it towards the throat. She'll swallow automatically, takes only a second.

Should be fine.

When you put it in her mouth, just use a finger to push it towards the throat. She'll swallow automatically, takes only a second.
Sounds easy enough...I just know the fight the cats put on 😬

Maybe a silly question, but should I start tonight as she going to bed, or in the morning when she is hungry & demanding treats?

Maybe a silly question, but should I start tonight as she going to bed, or in the morning when she is hungry & demanding treats?
Whenever it's easiest to do so.

For skittish birds it would likely be easiest at night, right off the roost, when they're easy to grab and not likely to run away.

I don't handle animal stuff at night generally and most of my birds tolerate being picked up, so I do most treatments in the morning.

Whenever it's easiest to do so.

For skittish birds it would likely be easiest at night, right off the roost, when they're easy to grab and not likely to run away.

I don't handle animal stuff at night generally and most of my birds tolerate being picked up, so I do most treatments in the morning.
Ok, thank you x She is very friendly, & morning will be better for me....it's already too cold for me to go back outside & I'm showered & in my pjs 😅

Fingers crossed she doesn't hate me afterwards 🤞🏼

Back
Top Bottom