Should I pull it out? - Newborn Chick Problem

_Featherian

Chirping
Mar 5, 2024
Hello
There’s this weird thing in my newborn chick’s butt.
Please help?
image.jpg

Hello
There’s this weird thing in my newborn chick’s butt.
Please help?
View attachment 3814866

I would leave it alone for now.

It's a little hard for me to tell what it is in the photos (that's a common problem with tiny chicks!) But sometimes the end of umbilical cord can stick out (do not pull on an umbilical cord) and sometimes bits of something just get stuck to a chick (it's usually fine to leave those alone too.)

Pasty Butt is when a chick has poop blocking the vent so the chick cannot poop. That would need to be cleaned up, but based on your photo and what you said, I do not think that is what your chick has.

It's a little hard for me to tell what it is in the photos (that's a common problem with tiny chicks!) But sometimes the end of umbilical cord can stick out (do not pull on an umbilical cord) and sometimes bits of something just get stuck to a chick (it's usually fine to leave those alone too.)

Pasty Butt is when a chick has poop blocking the vent so the chick cannot poop. That would need to be cleaned up, but based on your photo and what you said, I do not think that is what your chick has.
Next day, the chick seems okay but it’s still there.
B26925EF-FEB0-4F15-BD5E-3DCF6AD1A76A.jpeg

x2, looks normal. Don't touch it.

I'm no vet so if you are really concerned maybe you should take them to a vet but if it was me, I would just keep an eye on it for now, make sure any other chicks aren't taking an interest in it, if they are, isolate the chick to avoid any distress. Sometimes things like this can rectify on their own. I wish you and your chick an easy time of it, they are quite resilient and you don't want to potentially damage the chick by interfering. Maybe try a damp warm tissue and gently wipe to see if it comes away easily. I wouldn't apply any pressure though, don't know what the other side is attached to!

Next day, the chick seems okay but it’s still there.
View attachment 3815606
It is fine, and fairly normal.
I would leave it alone.

It is dry enough that it does not really need to be there, and will not bleed if cut. There is still no need to do anything, but if the sight really bothers you, take a pair of scissors and cut off about half the length, so it doesn't stick out so far. Do not pull on it, and do not cut close enough to snip the chick itself (that's why I said "about half.")

I'm no vet so if you are really concerned maybe you should take them to a vet but if it was me, I would just keep an eye on it for now, make sure any other chicks aren't taking an interest in it, if they are, isolate the chick to avoid any distress. Sometimes things like this can rectify on their own. I wish you and your chick an easy time of it, they are quite resilient and you don't want to potentially damage the chick by interfering.
I would not try to take the chick to a vet. The reason: the chick would probably get chilled and stressed while going to the vet, which would cause many more problems than what it has now. Besides, most vets do not know much about chickens.

Maybe try a damp warm tissue and gently wipe to see if it comes away easily. I wouldn't apply any pressure though, don't know what the other side is attached to!
That is good general advice. Gentle washing is fine in most cases.

But in this specific case, it looks like a dried umbilical cord. It will not come off if washed, and it is better not to get it wet.

Back
Top Bottom