Should I stop turning?

IRS

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2024
Hello, i'm new here and I have some coturnix quail eggs In my incubator It's been 13 days now and I was wondering if I should stop turning them also when they hatch Should I turn off the humidity? Because my brother said they could suffocate if the humidity is still there and I don't want that to happen.

Attachments

• 20240403_171118.jpg
    20240403_171118.jpg
    652.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20240403_171055.jpg
    20240403_171055.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 7
  • 20240403_171043.jpg
    20240403_171043.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 7
I have some coturnix quail eggs In my incubator It's been 13 days now and I was wondering if I should stop turning them
If they are within 3-4 days of hatching, then yes it is time to stop turning them.

when they hatch Should I turn off the humidity? Because my brother said they could suffocate if the humidity is still there and I don't want that to happen.

I don't have experience with quail specifically, but at least with chickens you want more humidity while they hatch than at any other time during incubation. This is the keep the membrane moist as the chicks is working on breaking out of the shell. You don't want it getting dried out and stuck.

@Nabiki Are quail the same as chickens in that respect? (humidity)

It is definitely time to take out the turner.

As for humidity, you want it to be about 30% during incubation, but you want to bump it up to 50-60% after you remove the turner. The humidity needs to be high enough to soften the shell a bit but not so high that the chick slips around inside the egg and can't stay in position to hatch.

If you float test you are likely to drown the chick, so please don't do that.

Ok so I took out the egg turner out added a

As for humidity, you want it to be about 30% during incubation, but you want to bump it up to 50-60% after you remove the turner. The humidity needs to be high enough to soften the shell a bit but not so high that the chick slips around inside the egg and can't stay in position to hatch.

If you float test you are likely to drown the chick, so please don't do that. so I took out the egg turner and added a paper towel underneath the eggs is that ok? or should I take the paper towel out.

If you float test you are likely to drown the chick, so please don't do that.
So I took out the egg turner and added a paper towel underneath the eggs is that ok? or should I take the paper towel out.

Attachments

• 20240403_213424.jpg
    20240403_213424.jpg
    509.5 KB · Views: 5
Ok so I took out the egg turner out added a

So I took out the egg turner and added a paper towel underneath the eggs is that ok? or should I take the paper towel out.
Take the paper towel out and put in some grippy shelf liner instead. Paper towels can be slippery, which can cause leg issues in the chicks.

I don't think I have shelf liner is there anything else I can put under the eggs?
Take the paper towel out and put in some grippy shelf liner instead. Paper towels can be slippery, which can cause leg issues in the chicks.
I don't think I have shelf liner is there anything else I can put under the eggs?

A hand towel might work, but you don't want it to get wet. The screen that @Ridgerunner suggested might work as well.

If you have a dollar store in town, a quick trip to there will solve your lack of shelf liner.

Slippery paper towels? I thought they were often recommended in brooders, because they are not slippery. Maybe it depends on the paper towel? Or maybe it's a chickens vs. quail thing? :confused:

For any paper towel or cloth towel, will it interfere with the humidity? It looks like that incubator has water under the mesh, so the suggestions for window screen or shelf liner with holes may be better as regards humidity.

Slippery paper towels? I thought they were often recommended in brooders, because they are not slippery. Maybe it depends on the paper towel? Or maybe it's a chickens vs. quail thing? :confused:

For any paper towel or cloth towel, will it interfere with the humidity? It looks like that incubator has water under the mesh, so the suggestions for window screen or shelf liner with holes may be better as regards humidity.
It does depend on the paper towels. Expensive paper towels have more texture and work better, but not many people buy the premium brands, so I usually advise against them. Both paper towels and cloth towels may absorb the water, which would be bad, which is why shelf liner works well. It has the holes and a grippy surface to help the chicks learn to walk.

Sometimes you do the best you can with what you have, though.

Back
Top Bottom